Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood? » How To and Favorite Plug Forum Guides

How To and Favorite Plug Forum Guides This location is for Plug Forum How-To and Step by Step guides as well as popular informational threads

Old 08-14-2004, 10:32 AM   #31
JHABS
Needlefish Nazi

YES Almighty P- TOWN GUIDE.......... .......

Over the Last Several Years HAB'S NEEDLEFISH Have Caught More "Confirmed" 30, 40, 50, and even 60 pound Striped Bass than any other Wooden Needlefish on the Market today. 2 Over 50lbs. and 1 Over 60lbs. in 2005 alone........... "HOOK UP WITH HAB'S" Your Best Bet For BIG BASS.....
JHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 10:52 AM   #32
Jigman

Good info guys. Thanks for sharing

Oh, and I have found that lead does not need to be sealed

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 10:58 AM   #33
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

great information thanks guys, very helpful topic.

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 11:23 AM   #34
bassmaster
Dave's Guide Service

Quote:
Originally posted by JHABS
YES Almighty P- TOWN GUIDE.......... .......
Nice Bum Boy back to work for You

Pro Tool Club....
bassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 11:29 AM   #35
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

tid bit more....urethane is a blend of different tung oils with a splash of hardner mixed in.

just make sure it's exterior/marine urethane.

don't use poly it's not the same.

soak for a half hour,,,,let drip for a few min's, then wipe the outside off an hang over nite.

lightly sand to get rid of any fuzzies,,blow the dust off, or wipe your plug down with wil-bond[has bonding agents to let the paint stick better] then prime with exterior OIL paint.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 12:31 PM   #36
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

For those using Tung Oil,do you dilute,dip or brush on and how long do you dry? Thanks
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 12:36 PM   #37
Bernzy

Dip and dry overnight.

Bernzy

"Sometimes you eat the bear and, well, sometimes... the bear, he eats you." _____________________
Support your S-B sponsors
--------------------------------------
Bernzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 12:39 PM   #38
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Bernzy thanks.How long do you keep them emersed?
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 05:18 PM   #39
beachwalker
Below Me

salty,

you sure that your are letting that waterlox dry in heat WITH good air flow ?

that is the key to drying it. we paint floors over it but they ain't no plug
beachwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 07:03 PM   #40
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by JHABS
Some seem to change their finishes and their waterproofing ways like I change underwear........ And some seem to be on the Quest in Search of the HOLY GRAIL of Finishes.....Which I'm not even sure is there. You are dealing with a piece of wood that is submerged in water. Some things work better than others, some finishes last longer than others. BUT no one is going to make a piece of wood that lasts for ETERNITY. First of all, all wood should be sealed, no matter what you're using. This will prolong the life of your plug by sealing properly with whatever you're using; OILS or etc. It's up to you.... It's all in the APPLICATION AND CHEMICAL WARFARE, WITH PROPER PAINTS AND PRIMERS. AND PROPER DRYING TIMES. I've been at this a long time. Take it for what it's worth: OILS DO PRESERVE your wood. It seems to me that alot of you guys when using cedars, when going over it with water based paints, the oils bleeds out. This is your problem. DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND EXPERIMENT. Water based in water is a no no. It does not LAST. Oil based in water, REPELS. Let's talk about tung oil. PURE TUNG OIL is a finishing product that provides a tough, flexible coating. Tung Oil had been know for centuries to the Chinese since the 13th century. Tung Oil received wide application in China in the building trades, as a treatment for both wood and stone structures; and in marine trades AS A PRESERVATIVE and WATER REPELLANT on wooden boats. Tung oil is favored over linseed oil because it is faster drying. PURE TUNG OIL is WATER and ALKALI RESISTANT. It resists marring and penatrates well. This is just one of many things I've found out through trial and error. Good luck. Don't be afraid to experiment. THIS CONCLUDES OUR LESSON FOR TODAY.
Very good info John, Thanks
I know how long it takes you to type, glad your puter didn't crash in the middle of that
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:00 AM   #41
Adam R

I've had problems with the waterlox, but good results with the boiled linseed oil. With the waterlox, the paint / primer did not adhere to the waterlox. After a few nights of fishing, the paint peeled off. The linseed oil sealed plugs have not had any problems. Even after the hook drags and bluefish have chewed the finish off on spots of the plug, I haven't seen any grain raising
or other problems associated with water absorption.
The first few I did with the boiled linseed, I used it straight, no mineral spirits. The linseed bled through the paint after a week of drying on some of them. It hasn't had any adverse effect on the plug other than it looks awful. I haven't had a problem with bleeding through since I've cut the linseed with mineral spirits.
Adam R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 11:15 AM   #42
JHABS
Needlefish Nazi

AdamR, Your doing your HOMEWORK...............

Over the Last Several Years HAB'S NEEDLEFISH Have Caught More "Confirmed" 30, 40, 50, and even 60 pound Striped Bass than any other Wooden Needlefish on the Market today. 2 Over 50lbs. and 1 Over 60lbs. in 2005 alone........... "HOOK UP WITH HAB'S" Your Best Bet For BIG BASS.....
Old 08-18-2004, 06:32 PM   #43
NIB

I take the raw plug prime wait bout 47 seconds then paint wait one day then epoxy finish one more day an its catchin fish.i got no time to wait.an I don't care if it explodes i just make another one .thank U.
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:47 AM   #44
Bernzy

I bumped this up because there is a bunch of good info here.

Bernzy

"Sometimes you eat the bear and, well, sometimes... the bear, he eats you." _____________________
Support your S-B sponsors
--------------------------------------
Bernzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:57 AM   #45
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Thanks John I needed that.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:32 PM   #46
JHABS
Needlefish Nazi

Working on Floaters NOW, No Really..................

Old 02-01-2007, 08:21 PM   #47
striperondafly
The Black Dog - Emma

Send a message via AIM to striperondafly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernzy View Post
I bumped this up because there is a bunch of good info here.

Bernzy
Thanks Bernzy - I used Waterlox for my first plugs - will get to my friend Baystalker's to paint in two weeks.

Ride the spiral to the end...............
striperondafly is offline   Reply With Quote