Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 04-18-2008, 07:49 PM   #31
Hooper
Southsider

Hey Raven, I hope all turns out well for you and your little buddy. Reading your story made my stomach turn, he must have been in an incredible amount of pain. It sounds like everyone you ran into was ready to help you guys, I am sure that made things a little better. Hang in there brother.
Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:14 PM   #32
teaser
Wave Jumper

Raven,
Sorry to hear about Star's dilema, it touched home with me. If she is in geat shape and you can swing it you should get the pet insurance for her, I bought it for my 2 dogs and it saves me tons of money. I have the best plan available for my 2 and its comes out to about $475.00 a year each, with my two I need it because there is always something needing to be done with them. It covers the cancer endorsement, 1 dental cleaning a year, 1 complete physical a year, it covers all their shots, and much more. You do have to pay the vet on the visit but it gets reimbursed back to you, I get 80% of the cost back from the insurance so that in itself is a big help. Major surgery is a little different, my female just had both her back knees replaced ... $8,000.00 for that but I got 4 of it back so they covered 50%.

Just a thought to toss out to ya.

Dogs have a very high tolerance for pain, she'll do well and don't beat yourself up about it, accidents happen. If you or anyone else reading this wants any more info on the insurance let me know, I got it after it cost me $32,000.00 for my last dog that never made it home again after his accident and I'm sure glad it's available for the pets.

Tight lines pal!

Insanity is a long and winding road ... I think I finally made it there.
teaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:15 PM   #33
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
that stake is sorta off my property in the north west corner out of sight and thus out of mind...on the other side of some big bushes.
for all i know and i'm checking out every detail it could belong to the neighbor...but i kinda doubt it..

i didn't install the stupid thing... but you better believe i'll be diggin that son of beotch up this morning...

thanks Ron and Larry... for your thoughts.. Star is a GIRL dog

STAR

Raven,
I feel your pain , I'm a dog lover too !
Meet "Raider"
my 6 year old Boxer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001_32.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	26947  
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:55 PM   #34
Raven

Nice Dog Captain Ron

one ear up and one ear down...
must be the radar lol

yeah Dave i hear ya... even though it wasn't my fault
i still felt very responsible because i should have realized that the dam pipe
with the jagged edge was an accident waiting to happen .

it's just that i don't that spend much time in that particular area
and when you see a boundary stake the first thing you think of is
gotta leave that be...when in fact you don't have to at all.

North Kingston ,Rhode ISLAND
...that's around 62 miles from me
so the offer is awesome... but driving all that way with hardly any
chance to brake wouldn't be a good idea.but thanks! just the same.
==========================================
STAR is doing tremendously well...and she's like ok,
when we gonna chase some kitty cats or some squirrels dad? lol

they take a beating and keep on ticking... i'm truly AMAZED!
she got like 40 stitches and has some drainage tubes but other than
that she's cruising around without even a whimper. WOW !

when i saw her innards, i thought she wasn't gonna make it at all.
and at first i thought she had been impaled and not just skinned
like a chicken breast - so it was a real mind blower for me...

it seemed like her eyes were gonna roll back and then lights out at the time...
so it was really creepy... it's amazing how they put her back together
so well considering...the scope of the injury.

Teaser they have her on tramadol
and since that's what you take for a kidney stone ,
i know first hand thats some powerful stuff.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:11 AM   #35
Adam_777

Hmmm 62 miles....What kind of vehicle and what is leaking ?Have you looked for the part locally ?
Adam_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:47 AM   #36
Raven

i was just about to ADAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_777 View Post
Hmmm 62 miles....What kind of vehicle and what is leaking ?Have you looked for the part locally ?
But then this latest fiasco with the dog getting hurt has exhausted
our cash on hand...so again it's having to be postponed

the car is a 1996 Dodge grand Caravan
and the part is a 4 way brake valve body...on the drivers side
right next to the gas tank

Old 04-19-2008, 09:28 PM   #37
Slipknot
Super Moderator

that's ashame about your dog being hurt Raven.
Next chance you get, take a sledge hammer to that dangerous pipe.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:12 PM   #38
Raven

oh i did SlipKnot

i grabbed a flat rock plus a short chain and
the high - lift 4 wheel drive jack and jacked that sucker outta the ground
in ten minutes

i just wish i had thought of it sooner
Old 04-20-2008, 12:59 AM   #39
wahlie
a goongala goongala

Send a message via AIM to wahlie
Raven,
Here's to Star getting a full recovery. Hopefully she'll be running around wanting to play fetch soon. it's amazing at how much family pets affect us especially when they get hurt or aren't doing well. Best of luck.

-Chris

"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."
wahlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:46 AM   #40
LT. DAN 2

STARS is a Great looking dog who is fortunate to have an owner that always give 110%...
Hang in there..Good things come to Good People.
LT. DAN 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:54 AM   #41
Raven

thats quite true wahlie

years ago....
i was out visiting a friend in NH - (i call it the shire) with my old dog "SADIE" of the same breed
and we were having a fantastic bonfire and a huge roast ...
having been shooting an old flint lock rifle earlier in the day...
and we had caught trout a stones throw away -
in a very famous river...

it was a really great party....
normally the old girl never left my side... but she was so full
she was kinda walkin it off a bit...and it was now pitch black...

since my dog had just finished eating to her heart's content all kinds of chicken and steak tips...a meal fit for a KING...she was way stuffed.

nearby, his road was real rural and seldom used out in front of the guys house in a country setting . My dog was black mostly and had wandered away from the group to smell a flattened animal skin in the middle of the road...for just a two minutes.... and a passerby (motorist) came along... there was one MAYBE - every hour and a half at best... didn't see her in time... and she got hit and instantly killed...

that was the most upsetting thing i ever experienced and i was
more than devastated from the loss...at the time..
~
IT IS SAID:
that you get much more closer and attached to your pets than people..
well except for your children of course ,and or your spouse.

~
but thank you Chris and to everyone on the board for your moral support... Star the wonder dog...has forgiven me... and is doing well ,,,although keeping her somewhat subdued is proving to be a challenge especially when she saw that damned cotton tail rabbit last night
as we took a very slow and easy stroll down to close up the little green house and to let her go outside...on tier two... for a little while...
it's like trying to keep a stealth fighter jet on the runway during an alien invasion - LOL
Old 04-20-2008, 06:47 AM   #42
Raven

Arrow another Sadie story

110%

when we were living in the mountains there were packs of coyotes

and at night you could hear a dozen of them in UNISON from the entrance to their den way up on the hill side...

and the range of mountains there were like a bowl so the sound reverberated back and forth..

well one night old sadie was out on patrol as usual
now you need a photo of her to comprehend her " wildness "
i could say.............

anyways...this one night...it was pitch black ok...you couldn't even see your hand if you held it out front your face...

i heard this loud commotion that sounded like the dog wrestling rumble of the century... lots of them.. i mean most of us have heard a dog fight in our lives...even blood curdling ones i'm sure...

well this was different it was a whole pack of coyotes trying to kill and eat my DINGO...and she was just the dog to handle the JOB of kicking all their asses....let me tell you.. for example: that dog was being trained for it starting on week 6 of her life as i constantly tapped her paws to the floor too while watching TV to increase her tactile senses in her feet...instead of being a clumsy puppy....

i was relentless...as everyone lost their dogs up there.

i did it for hours...and ever so softly until she became like this little Arnold Swazenager terminator dog lol and the martial arts training was from day 1... she was like a tank turret and could spin 360's same as STAR actually, but much bigger......60 LBS of MUSCLE of like a boa constrictor...conditioning...

OF course the incredibly intelligent and crafty coyotes didn't know this...heh heh heh

so i go running out there to save her LIFE in the middle of this huge Battle
with dust flying... couldn't see it ,but i was sure choking on it...

as i swung this large death staff over and over trying to make contact....with the the snarling bunch trying to
break up the fight...even though i couldn't see a thing...they were actually bumping into me..and using the darkness as cover...

i know this sounds ridiculous but it's the God's honest truth

they were moving around and i'd get real close to the massacre and swing the stick...shouting my lungs out trying to frighten them off of her , thinking...aloud...their killing her .......their killing her.... and your goin .....OH MY GOD NO....in your heart.
totally in PANIC mode....swearing up a storm- all pissed OFFF
lots of screaming... it was intense

and i finally grabbed her away from them scooping her up
and she was ALL covered in BLOOD ....i could feel the gooeyness /stickyness...of it all over her fur and ran to the bathtub to find out where to start doing emergency intensive care stuff...and i was rinsing her off ...trying to see all of her injuries...
it was gruesome like a horror flick....kinda bloody and i was covered in it too from carrying her...

and "then" .........all the blood just rinsed off down the drain....
like MAGIC .....and i couldn't even find a mark on her...

i stood back and just slowly looked at her in amazement as she panted slowly...all happy with herself for a job well done..

i was never so proud of that dog until that exact moment
she was a champion...a thoroughbred fighter...

sorry this latest fiasco with star made remember this story.

Last edited by Raven; 04-20-2008 at 06:52 AM..
Old 04-20-2008, 07:06 AM   #43
MrHunters
What was that!?!

Quote:
110%

and at night you could hear a dozen of them in UNISON from the entrance to their den way up on the hill side...

and the range of mountains there were like a bowl so the sound reverberated back and forth..

i could say.............

anyways...this one night...it was pitch black ok...you couldn't even see your hand if you held it out front your face...

i heard this loud commotion that sounded like the dog wrestling rumble of the century... lots of them.. i mean most of us have heard a dog fight in our lives...even blood curdling ones i'm sure...

well this was different it was a whole pack of coyotes trying to kill and eat my DINGO...and she was just the dog to handle the JOB of kicking all their asses....let me tell you.. for example: that dog was being trained for it starting on week 6 of her life as i constantly tapped her paws to the floor too while watching TV to increase her tactile senses in her feet...instead of being a clumsy puppy....

i did it for hours...and ever so softly until she became like this little Arnold Swazenager terminator dog lol and the martial arts training was from day 1... she was like a tank turret and could spin 360's same as STAR actually, but much bigger......60 LBS of MUSCLE of like a boa constrictor...conditioning...

OF course the incredibly intelligent and crafty coyotes didn't know this...heh heh heh

as i swung this large death staff over and over trying to make contact....with the the snarling bunch trying to
break up the fight...even though i couldn't see a thing...they were actually bumping into me..and using the darkness as cover...

they were moving around and i'd get real close to the massacre and swing the stick...shouting my lungs out trying to frighten them off of her , thinking...aloud...their killing her .......their killing her.... and your goin .....OH MY GOD NO....in your heart.

and she was ALL covered in BLOOD ....i could feel the gooeyness /stickyness...of it all over her fur and ran to the bathtub to find out where to start doing emergency intensive care stuff...and i was rinsing her off ...trying to see all of her injuries...
it was gruesome like a horror flick....kinda bloody and i was covered in it too from carrying her...

i stood back and just slowly looked at her in amazement as she panted slowly...all happy with herself for a job well done..

thats an awsome story raven, like right out of the movies. sounds like any dog who lives in the raven household is a lucky dog.
MrHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:47 AM   #44
Adam_777

That is an awesome story man !
Adam_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:09 AM   #45
Saltheart

Glad to hear the dog will be OK. Sorry for the bad luck getting her hurt.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:17 AM   #46
fishaholic18
Finally

Quote:
110%

i could say.............

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:31 PM   #47
Raven

Talking

oh sorry DAve

Old 04-22-2008, 01:24 PM   #48
MrHunters
What was that!?!

how's she doing?
Old 04-22-2008, 02:06 PM   #49
outnumbered
Registered Papa

Raven I just read your post and being the dog person I am can't Imagine how you must of felt. When my wife's cat knocked over my fishing pole on top of my lab, who jumped up and then set the treble hook firmly through her nose, then went trashing about with rod in tow, the smell from the blood was just as you described. I was devistated with just taking care of that at the time. I can't even imagine the feelings you must of had.

I know what you say about vets when my daughter was out running with her mutt up in Maine and the dog tore all the tendons in its knee I got the paniced call for the money before the doctor would operate. It was nice of your brother to be there when you needed him so that you could get Star the help she needed.

Best of wishes and I hope Star is up and running soon.

Quote:
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"
outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:57 PM   #50
Raven

Par for the course

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHunters View Post
how's she doing?
she's a little more lively today than the last two having
finally given in....and has realized she's needing to rest.

the meds seem to be doing their Job

we're watching her very closely for any changes....
Old 04-26-2008, 08:39 AM   #51
Raven

Arrow STAR UPDATE

SADLY...the first operation to repair her chest failed...miserably

she had way to much drainage happening and she kinda knew it

she tried to intervene and we had to bring her back
to the ANIMAL HOSPITAL
.......for a second attempt to save her...

this time everything is looking much better
...but of course the expenses now are mind boggling...
and we haven't a clue as to how we'll survive..

we shall endeavor to persevere.

good news is:
the rebate checks are being mailed out on monday
and that'll help...slightly.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:54 PM   #52
Raven

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl F View Post
sorry for all this Rav.. hope your gal pulls thru fine, adn am sure she will...

find out if that is a registered property marker tho... found out they got fines for pulling them out...

should make so that they are all cement corner markers, not perfect, but waay safer than rusty steel pipe...
=========================================
Karl ,

I just heard from my Neighbor who was out worshiping his lawn
and he inquired if i had removed the property marker stake and i explained that i had done so...with the intention of replacing it with something Safer...there, (i had put a plastic outdoor lamp in it's place temporarily) and that my dog had impaled herself on the stake
at a cost of $2000.00 dollars to us....and he informed me quite belligerently that he could have the surveyor come out and re-survey the property at a cost to me of $400.00 dollars..if i didn't put it back... and he couldn't have cared less about my dog getting hurt...which has now totally defined our relationship forever.

So i put it right back where it was...except i placed a long vertical stone next to it on my side...just to make him happy...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Now the WAR begins... and i haven't even begun to fight..
i'm going to lawyer up and sue the town or the state or the united states whomever and get a new law passed that makes these very dangerous property marker stakes a thing of the past...

man i am pissed off now... how ridiculous can it get...
Old 04-27-2008, 04:39 PM   #53
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Sounds like you neighbor is a real ass hole. Get yourself a bunch of pigs for your farm and put the pen right on the property line that will piss him off. What a douche bag

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:28 PM   #54
Raven

Thumbs up your right paul

he had about as much compassion as a rattle snake... so be it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
i know that my days here are numbered...and that someday i'll be upgrading to a much bigger place... like 40 acres somewhere.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:35 AM   #55
Hooper
Southsider

Richard Head

Quote:
=========================================
Karl ,

I just heard from my Neighbor who was out worshiping his lawn
and he inquired if i had removed the property marker stake and i explained that i had done so...with the intention of replacing it with something Safer...there, (i had put a plastic outdoor lamp in it's place temporarily) and that my dog had impaled herself on the stake
at a cost of $2000.00 dollars to us....and he informed me quite belligerently that he could have the surveyor come out and re-survey the property at a cost to me of $400.00 dollars..if i didn't put it back... and he couldn't have cared less about my dog getting hurt...which has now totally defined our relationship forever.

So i put it right back where it was...except i placed a long vertical stone next to it on my side...just to make him happy...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Now the WAR begins... and i haven't even begun to fight..
i'm going to lawyer up and sue the town or the state or the united states whomever and get a new law passed that makes these very dangerous property marker stakes a thing of the past...

man i am pissed off now... how ridiculous can it get...

I bet your neighbor must be named Richard Head. Or, #^&#^&#^&#^& for short. I am glad the pooch is on the mend!
Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:18 AM   #56
MrHunters
What was that!?!

wow. people never cease to amaze me.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:54 AM   #57
FishermanTim

I wonder if there could be any legal ramifications, based on who's responsible for that marker. The neighbors comments make it sound like he had theem installed. I would be interested in knowing if there were any recourse, such as a lawsuit for "reckless endangerment" for purposely leaving such a dangerous item sticking out of the ground.

You could always reply with a "So, this was YOUR fault. Let me discuss this with my attorney." and see how he feels about your removing the dangerous "item".

It's idiots like that that really tick me off.
No compassion that your pet was injured, or that they may be responsible in some way. They're only concerned with that stupid marker because they can't control their "land". What a turd.

I hope Star makes a complete recovery.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:58 AM   #58
MrHunters
What was that!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
and then takes a dump 1 foot past the marker
Old 05-02-2008, 01:04 PM   #59
Raven

i agree whole heartedly tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
I wonder if there could be any legal ramifications, based on who's responsible for that marker. The neighbors comments make it sound like he had theem installed. I would be interested in knowing if there were any recourse, such as a lawsuit for "reckless endangerment" for purposely leaving such a dangerous item sticking out of the ground.

You could always reply with a "So, this was YOUR fault. Let me discuss this with my attorney." and see how he feels about your removing the dangerous "item".

It's idiots like that that really tick me off.
No compassion that your pet was injured, or that they may be responsible in some way. They're only concerned with that stupid marker because they can't control their "land". What a turd.

but i'll refer you to
the "lets help out guys" thread for my current answer
to Piemma's comment on a pissing contest
...with the so-called neighbor...