Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-11-2011, 09:47 AM   #1
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
my argument is over. If you think the "Pennsylvania Dutch" came for freedom of religion and this country is 400 yrs old, I give up.
I bet the Pennsylvania Dutch were stoked when they named the state after them........
I am pennsylvania dutch. It includes Moravians, mennonites, amish, brethern, lutherans (among lots of others). Most have connections to the reformed church. I know that my relatives came in 1702. It was certainly partially because of the farmland, but the divide between the anabaptists also gave them incentive to come here and set up communities where they were free to worship as they wished. My point wasn't that they only came here for religion or only came here for wealth. You made the statement that they all came here because of money. Harvard university turned 375 years old this year. Based on a literal measurement it was not part of this country, but I included the early years as part of how long this place we live has been great. Use it to discredit me if you want, but it would be better if you could discredit my facts about corporate tax rates and the like. So you are right, not all people came here for freedom. The constitution wasn't ratified 400 years ago. But I am also right there was alot of important history that shaped this country before ratifying the constitution and as a matter of fact, Virginia co. didn't come here for tobacco and furs as you stated. Corporations typically don't pay 35% (or the old rate, 39%, which you stated) so I guess I shouldn't bother discussing this with you either since your facts aren't so great.

Last edited by zimmy; 03-11-2011 at 09:59 AM..

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
But I am also right there was alot of important history that shaped this country before ratifying the constitution and as a matter of fact, Virginia co. didn't come here for tobacco and furs as you stated. .
You stated this country is 400 yrs old and based that on the Jamestownt settlement. You stated Jamestown was settled based on "principles". Jamestown was settled asan investment in the new world. I never once read that gold was a part of that. the purpose was to set up an outpost and explore opportunites. It was a race against the Spanish. Very soon after the settlement both fur and soon after tobacco became the profitable ventures.

there was no "pennsylvania" when the dutch came, thats why its funny you said the Pennslyvaia dutch settled here. Another history error of yours.

I never once said that there isnt an amazing history prior to the forming of our country, but the reality is our country wasnt formed until the constitution was ratified. Your just trying to explain your mistake. And it is interesting you say our country is 400 yrs old based on the first WHITE settlers coming here. Interesting to note that people where living here for over 10,000 yrs. People with an amazing history and culture. When the 101st airborned attached during D-day, they did not cut their hair like the puritans, they cut it like Mohawks.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 03-11-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
zimmy

Quote:

there was no "pennsylvania" when the dutch came, thats why its funny you said the Pennslyvaia dutch settled here. Another history error of yours.

THEY WEREN"T DUTCH! holy h... and I am the one who doesn't know what he is talking about....

Old 03-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
THEY WEREN"T DUTCH! holy h... and I am the one who doesn't know what he is talking about....
they were dutch (or german or whatever), just not pennsyvania dutch. get it?
When they got on the boat to come here, they did not refer to themselves as "Pennsylvania".

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 03-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
zimmy

Quote:
When the 101st airborned attached during D-day, they did not cut their hair like the puritans, they cut it like Mohawks.
Thanks for the info... my grandfather was airborne in ww2

Old 03-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Interesting to note that people where living here for over 10,000 yrs. People with an amazing history and culture.
And I bet from their point of view....the country went to hell in a hand-basket about 400 years ago.

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 03-11-2011 at 12:01 PM..

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 03-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
scottw

Quote:
I am pennsylvania dutch. It includes Moravians, mennonites, amish, brethern, lutherans (among lots of others). .
moronvians?