Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-25-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
Flaptail

Smile Plugfest reflection

This past Saturday was my 8th "Plugfest" get together. From it's humble beginnings at Slip's workshop to the event it is today is an amazing evolution to say the least.

That being said, my mind, which is always in a reflective mode it seems these days, causes me to state the following, which may not go over well with some people.

First let me say I am not a sore loser. I voted for Dave "Canalman"Anderson's Falase Albacore as best in show. It was a beautiful piece of work. Looking at it though, could it actually swim? I don't know and I should have asked Dave at the event.
Afterall this is (was) a plugbuilding competition. Because it looks like a lure and has hooks is only a small part of the the make up of a real plug.

The category I entered was the best representation of a classic or restoration thereof. My interpretation of that heading is that it comes as close to the original in shape, construction, hardware, paint, eyes, hook types, paint type etc as possible. It's left to the general attending audience to make that decision. My problem here is that at least 80% of those deciding have no idea what it should or should not look like. My own was 100% dead on. Right down to the antique german glass eyes, vintage hooks,wood type and exact color match and paint scheme. Unless you are a collector you wouldn't know. It should not be just a reasonable facsimile. Prof M's Fishmaster was absolutely perfect. I still cannot fathom that plug not winning. It was a lot of work, research and time getting it just as close to the original as possible

My point here is that the selecting should not be up to the attending public if in fact you are going to have a competition but to a panel of judges who know what a certain classification should represent and why the top award should go to a particular entry.

Plugs are built to catch fish, they shouild be able to do do what enables a lure needs to do to catch fish be it swim deeply, wiggle along the top or whatever but it should be a functioning lure that when tied to a line and cast stands a reasonable chance of attracting and getting a fish to hit it.

Numbskulls plugs are examples of the perfect art of lure building for fish catching sake as are Prof M's, Chumbuckets, Tagger and PNG.

If you are going to have a competition at future Plugfest events then there should be a panel of judges who cannot enter the competition.
I for one would be happy to volunteer.

Also, and I know it was a space issue this year, but there should be a section strictly for collectors of vintage and antique lures like VB, AdamR, BiteMe and others so that those attending can learn about the plugmakers history when it comes to Striped Bass fishing.

I mean no disparagement of anykind but I felt I had to post this.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote