Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-11-2006, 12:52 PM   #1
crash
Professional dumba$$

Loomis Blanks

Looking to build my first rod, got the book, done a ton of reading, searched, etc. I've just never handled most of the blanks. I've handled Loomis factory rods in the past and like the weight, and they seem a little less expensive than the Lami's I've run across, so I'm strongly leaning toward a Loomis surf rod. The blanks I'm looking at are the su1324-gl2(11', MH, 1/2-3 oz), and the su1266-gl2(10'6", H, 1-5oz).

The rod will be wrapped conventional, probably with a slosh 20, and its main use will be 1-3 oz plugs, occasionally at the canal, sometimes other places, but I will need a rod with some guts since I fish tough areas. I have another 4-8 oz set up, and am looking to throw my smaller stuff. I'm a boat guy so my surf gear is limited, but I find myself drawn to the surf more and more.

I'm leaning more towards the su1266 at this point, do you think its the right way to go, any better options? Needs to be 2 piece, and the rainshadows seem to jump from 1-1 1/2oz to 2-5oz in a 2 piece. Are the Loomis blanks any more durable than others? How is the castability and fish fighting ability?

Thanks, any advice would be appreciated, I want my first rod to be something I can enjoy for a long time, and I'm willing to put in the time to get it right.
crash is offline   Reply With Quote