Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-06-2004, 08:54 PM   #1
addict

Burnt out on Wall St...I need a new career

Well, the handwriting's on the wall. I'm officially burnt out and I could use a little advice/help from you guys.

All I've known is trading and now I'm feeling totally burnt out. I used to stay in the office 'till 10-11pm and couldn't wait go in at 5-6am the next morning. It was exciting for me. Now, I can't "see" the market anymore. I can't focus, don't have the drive to stay late nor go in early.

Before 9/11, I was doing well enough to start my own trading company and at one point had 25 people working for me. After 9/11 everything changed. I had to shut down my firm and let go of all my traders and staff. I took a huge financial hit and on top of that my wife broke her hip in a freak accident right afterwards.

Perhaps it's just a natural progression or maybe 9/11 hit me harder than most people (I worked 2 blocks from the towers at the time). As some of you know, I went through a depression because of 9/11 and that's one of the main reasons why I started fishing (yes, it's helped a lot! ) Regardless, I think it's time I started to look for another job/career.

I graduated with a B.A. in business from Boston U. I went to 2 yrs of law school. I was a partner in a import/export trading company in Russia dealing with raw materials and consumer products. We also were the east european distributors for Omniglow corp. at the time. Those glow in the dark necklaces/bracelets you see at Great Adventure - break-and-shake-and-glow? Well, they also make commercial application products too (and fishing products ). I've also worked for my father's business at times (retail outdoor/sportswear products company) in purchasing and management. I'm also pretty good with my hands and have no problems looking at any and all options.

I've never applied for a job because I was always recruited as trader. I never worked for paycheck as I've always been in business for myself. I've consistently made over 6 figures until recently and the thought of making $30,000/yr in a entry level position to start a new career is scaring the ^$$#%! out of me.

I'm feeling as helpless as the first time I wet a line not knowing what the results will be. I could use a little input and advice.

Thanks as always...
addict is offline   Reply With Quote