Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Computers

Computers Sidetrack to Computers, Questions on your home computer? Posting just for registered members....

Old 04-01-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
Sgt_Nutz

Toshiba Laptop opinion

Any opinions on this refurbished Toshiba Satellite laptop?

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2 [...] oid=458170

Any benefit/downside to it's being a 32bit system for intended use below?

I am looking for a laptop for my 14 year old daughter. She would primarily be doing homework with MS Office and surfing the Internet, You Tube, Face book etc.. and using I Tunes. Would like to keep it under $350 and the above system, although a refurb., has better features than a new system for the price. Or is this overkill for the intended uses? Would like to stay with a 14 to 15" system. Not necessarily limited to Toshiba. Am happy with their reviews.

Thanks

Bob

20' Aquasport CC 115hp Johnson 'SiouxToo'
Sgt_Nutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Bob - the link doesn't work so I can't see the specs. Sometimes long links get truncated. Post the model#

32 bit is OK
Generally not a fan of the cheap Toshiba laptops

If you are near Boston / Cambrdige - the only "deal" i see is at Microcenter: Acer 15.6" Notebook $299.99 - Store pickup only - SlickDeals.net Forums

$299 - its marginal but its cheap.

Office 2007 Home and Student Word, Excel, PPT, --- No Outlook --- 3 computers for $130: Newegg.com - Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 Licensed for 3 PCs - Business & Finance

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
Sgt_Nutz

Thanks for the reply John. Should have tried the link first. This one seems to work in preview.

Satellite L505D-S5983 Refurbished

I am leaning towards the Toshiba only because of the dual Core Athlon, 3GB Mem and larger HD.

Specs:
320GB HDD, 3GB Memory, 10-Key Pad
Need something to surf the Internet and write emails? The Satellite® L505D-S5983 Refurbishedd comes with an AMD Athlon™ II Dual-Core Processor* M300, ATI Radeon™ 4100 Graphics*, and Realtek 802.11(b/g)* for high speed wireless LAN connection. Its 15.6-inch HD TruBrite® LCD display* with 1366x768 resolution provides a sharp, clear image. You'll also enjoy the integrated 10-key pad for easy data entry. The DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) with Labelflash™ drive keeps you organized with high quality labels burnt directly onto Labelflash™ media. Best of all, its DVD-RAM function acts as an optical hard disk drive for unlimited on-the-fly storage and backup!

Old 04-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Nutz View Post
Any opinions on this refurbished Toshiba Satellite laptop?

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2 [...] oid=458170

Any benefit/downside to it's being a 32bit system for intended use below?

I am looking for a laptop for my 14 year old daughter. She would primarily be doing homework with MS Office and surfing the Internet, You Tube, Face book etc.. and using I Tunes. Would like to keep it under $350 and the above system, although a refurb., has better features than a new system for the price. Or is this overkill for the intended uses? Would like to stay with a 14 to 15" system. Not necessarily limited to Toshiba. Am happy with their reviews.

Thanks

Bob
shoot it and get a dell
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:10 AM   #5
JohnR

Nota bad deal: MSI 16" Laptop: Intel Dual Core T4500, 3GB DDR2, 320GB HDD, GeForce 8200M w/ HDMI, 16" (1366x768) LCD w/ Webcam, Wireless N, 6 Cell Battery, Win 7 Home Prem $408 - Page 2 - SlickDeals.net Forums

I'm just not a fan of the low end Toshibas - refurbed at that. Does it need to be a laptop?

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 04-02-2010, 08:14 AM   #6
Sgt_Nutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
WOW, almost jumped on that one John. Already out of stock! Will have to watch Slickdeals myself. Would like to stick with a laptop. Seems like better features and performance for the same $$ ??

Old 04-02-2010, 08:24 AM   #7
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Nutz View Post
WOW, almost jumped on that one John. Already out of stock! Will have to watch Slickdeals myself. Would like to stick with a laptop. Seems like better features and performance for the same $$ ??

Slickdeals is great. Only serious problem with Slickdeals is sometimes it is too easy to buy things. Just doing my part to prop up the world's economy . Shortage of good laptop deals. If you are not in a rush, check SD twice per day. A desktop will typically have better performance than a laptop, especially for the same money. If you do not need to be portable, go with a desktop every time.

Would you consider a netbook? I have an upgraded Dell Mini 9 that would be well under your budget.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 04-03-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
Sgt_Nutz

Thanks John. Talked it over with my daughter and she definitely wants a laptop. Also found this link from techbargains.com for a Dell $379.

Dell Inspiron 15 Intel Dual-Core T4400 2.2GHz 15.6in Laptop (3GB/160GB/Win 7) $379.95 Deal - Reviews and Compare Prices

Will wait on the Sunday fliers and maybe go for it.