Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-14-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Can you hear me now?

I heard on the news today there were 1.2 million peaceful demonstrators on Saturday voicing their opposition to to Big Gov. HC, and Cap+Trade.

Washington shouldn't pay attention though, they were just a bunch of rebel rousing Astro Turfs.

" Choose Life "
Old 09-14-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
Raven

i heard that number was over stated by 900,000 people
Old 09-14-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

I hear the number was more like 600,000.

Interesting though, a large group of people demonstrating that you didn't have pick up loads of litter or deal in scuffles.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 09-14-2009, 10:53 PM   #4
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Same. But it would be out of character for something like facts to not get spun by those reporting.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:43 AM   #5
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Same. But it would be out of character for something like facts to not get spun by those reporting.
Absolutely, kinda like with HC it's 50 million are without insurance,
or no it's 47 million, no it's 27 million no it's 20 million or is it 5 million?

NYT said the Park Police in Washington didn't count those that were there.

The demonstrators were hoping for 35-50,000 in Washington but the Fire Dept. counted and estimated 75,000.

BTW- JR -they were brought up in a time when people looked down
on "Litter Bugs".

" Choose Life "
Old 09-15-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Interestingly enough 50,000 show up for a Million Man March that gets coverage for weeks and it is still a Million Man March. 100,000 Patriots show up in Washington peacefully protesting policy and it is dismissed as a few thousand and not even covered by the media.....

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 09-15-2009, 09:32 AM   #7
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Absolutely, kinda like with HC it's 50 million are without insurance,
or no it's 47 million, no it's 27 million no it's 20 million or is it 5 million?
Agreed. The lack of a harder estimated number without HC is ridiculous. I too would like to know who's included in that estimated 20-50 million. A 150% margin of error is less than helpful. (It's like the seal estimates of 5-12 thousand.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpart View Post
Interestingly enough 50,000 show up for a Million Man March that gets coverage for weeks and it is still a Million Man March. 100,000 Patriots show up in Washington peacefully protesting policy and it is dismissed as a few thousand and not even covered by the media.....
Or most people see these "tea parties" as a joke and some fad of the Conservatives to rile up the base. I would be willing to bet a minimum of 3/5 people at these things couldn't effectively represent what specific aspects of HC they disagree with and why - outside of regurgitating the talking points of Rush and friends. As fishbones has said in the past, even people that very actively follow the debate have difficulty sorting out what is actually in the bill and what is just propaganda.

As I have been saying consistently, there are major issues with the HC bill but Republicans are allowing the Dems to pass whatever they want because the Conservatives would rather fling sh!t than address the issues like grown ups.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:25 AM   #8
Raven

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post

Interesting though, a large group of people demonstrating that you didn't have pick up loads of litter or deal in scuffles.
Unless they are all out there protesting in real nasty weather

like quai chang kane standing outside the monastery waiting to be let in.... it won't continue to get press coverage.

i loved the sign with nancy pelosi on it with the Pinocchio Nose

an umbrella company with a tea party logo on the top could make a small fortune if they had any brains

BAD CHANGE
Old 09-15-2009, 05:43 AM   #9
buckman

I just heard it from you guys.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:52 AM   #10
buckman

JD, are you insane? Just dismiss 3/5 conservatives because why again? You think their just using talking points? Over 50% disagree with the HC bill. People are willing to give up their time, maybe because they feel the cause is worth the effort.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:24 AM   #11
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
JD, are you insane? Just dismiss 3/5 conservatives because why again? You think their just using talking points? Over 50% disagree with the HC bill. People are willing to give up their time, maybe because they feel the cause is worth the effort.
Dismissing 3/5 people that attend those teaparties. As I said, I would bet 3/5 don't have an educated clue.