Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-11-2007, 08:02 AM   #1
Thumb-Burner

I can't cut straight with my bandsaw!!!

OK.. first, let's just say i'm a novice with power tools.. been using the lathe for about a year.. getting acceptable results... i've got most everything to a level of proficiency that i'm satisfied with EXCEPT the freakin' bandsaw..

here's the problem... i've tried to set it up just like the directions (which are lousy) say.. but i can't cut straight.. last night for example, i was cutting some AYC (2X2's) into lengths to be used on the lathe. no matter how slow i go, or how straight i try to keep things as i move the wood into the blade, the blade seems to torque to one side and make an angled cut... same when i'm trying to do lip slots..

it always turns to the same side... (my right) i've tightened the blade, loosened the blade, adjusted the little fiber blocks on each side of the blade... i'm about to go postal and throw it through the wall!! no wait... that's where my plugs are..

help!!!

I might be small.... but I'm slow.
Thumb-Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:04 AM   #2
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

i know that on my jet i had to adjust the blade for perfect cuts-pia, but worth it. get a test piece adjust- test- adjust - test 'till it's good.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:10 AM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Buy a compound mitre saw....its alot quicker and you won't get that blade inflection.

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:13 AM   #4
Thumb-Burner

mitre saw..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Buy a compound mitre saw....its alot quicker and you won't get that blade inflection.

two issues there.. 1) i'm broke 2) my shop is VERY small and i already have tools sitting on the floor when i'm not using them.. 3) I'm broke..

do you use the mitre saw for just cutting stock, or for lips too?

also, i'm hoping to cut out some handcarveds at some point so i gotta get this figgured out.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:19 AM   #5
Slipknot
Super Moderator

put a wider blade on if you can

there is nothing worse than trying to use a power tool that is inadequate for the job. Another words, small cheap bandsaws are mostly for hobby type stuff, very thin wood. Maybe the saw is not strong enough to hold the blade tightly enough. Bandsaws are fickle and have to be tuned just right, p.i.t.a. I know.

if you have a table saw you can crosscut with that
if you have a handsaw you can do lip slots with that

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:22 AM   #6
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
No.....use the bandsaw for lip slots! When you can try and pick up a new or used compound mitre. Worth the money. Keep your eyes on the classified forum! New Dewalt is about $120.00.....might find a nice used one for around $50.00!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:29 AM   #7
Thumb-Burner

ouch

Wife and kids got me the bandsaw.. it's a inexpensive delta.. but i think others use it with success.. so it's not the best i know, but i think it should be useable..

a wider blade might be the ticket.. tobias i think suggested a thicker one too..

maybe i'll just use a hatchet..

Old 01-11-2007, 08:11 AM   #8
Thumb-Burner

so afterhours

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterhours View Post
i know that on my jet i had to adjust the blade for perfect cuts-pia, but worth it. get a test piece adjust- test- adjust - test 'till it's good.

what types of things did you adjust?

Old 01-11-2007, 09:18 AM   #9
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

TB;
I have that same saw. I can cut a die straight line in wood!!
I had to adjust both sets of blade guides; above and below the table. Then I got a good 18 and 24 TPI blade. Since I adjusted the saw and made a good wide table for it I am able to cut the slope head angle on swimmers, canal flat on poppers to an exacting result. The cut requires minimum sanding!
PM if you think I can help you out.

One question; Are you using the thin blade that came in the saw? if yes, go to Lowe's and get an 18 TPI blade in the 59 1/2 inch length and let me know when you have it!
Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:21 PM   #10
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

One day I was in HD looking at tools. I saw this Mikita sliding compound miter saw! I had never seen anything quite as nice as that machine. I had to have it!! I mean it would everything but the dishes. Yup I bought it! $498 bux! +tax =$528
I now use it to cut my AYC to length. It cuts nice square glass smooth end cuts that I throw away after the plug is turned!! Fivehundredandtwentyeightbucks
Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #11
Pete F.
Canceled

Sears usually has cheap chop saws. The amount you use it making plugs or stuff around the house is never going to wear it out.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:42 PM   #12
Jigman

I had a similar problem with my Jet, then Bernzy stopped by and showed me how to set it up right A fence will definitely help. Sears sells a universal bandsaw fence for around $20. Works pretty well. If I need real straight cuts I'll also use a clamp on the other end of the fence. If you do not want to string for a fence, clamp a piece of lumber to the bandsaw and use that as your fence.

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:53 PM   #13
Thumb-Burner

thanks jiggy

i think the piece of lumber fence will have to work for right now.. maybe the sears thing later.. looked at that before.. wasn't sure it would work

Old 01-11-2007, 08:09 PM   #14
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

You need to tune a bandsaw to get it to cut right.
First, take off the covers and without a blade on it adjust the top wheel in or out so it aligns with the bottom wheel (use a long straight edge)
Next, put on a blade and spin it until it tracks on the crowns. Then shim the table to get it square.
Then, adjust your guides to a dollar bill thickness clearance right and left.
Bring the thrust bearings to just touch the rear of the blade.
Next tension your blade tight. On small saws it is best to use a thin blade 1/4-1/2" since the saws lack the guts to tension a wide blade.
Now cut a piece of wood and watch how the blade wants to track (very few track straight). Clamp the wood to the table and adjust your fence to be paralell to the cut piece. That should do it.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:37 PM   #15
EricW

I'd watch want ads, craigslist and yardsales and trash for tools. I picked up 2 mitre saws (good ones too) for 5.00 each. Have 2 free table saws, 5.00 planer and my lathe was free. I'm getting to the point where I may start buying new or better high end used stuff for some better ease of use, but all my stuff works great. Just stay away from craftsman oil free compressors, I could write a book on those.

Where I live a little NW of boston, there is almost and endless supply of power tools, mowers, snowblowers and other assorted goodies in peoples trash. I've retired from picking up most of it, but still get an occasional goodie.

Thanks too for the advice on the bandsaw. I was looking at that one and now I know you need a new blade. That was helpful to at least know it will do a good job.
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote