Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 01-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
spence

Winter reading

Curious what people are reading this winter. I'm not a fan of fiction...here are some mini-reviews of what I've finished and what's to come.

Wired For War (P.W. Singer) - geek out book on the impact of robots and technology in warfare. A fun read but a little long for the subject matter.

Intellectuals and Society (Thomas Sowell) - A great book that looks at society, politics and media though a lens of the liberal elite vs a more conservative philosophy that values more mundane and proven knowledge. My big beef with Sowell though, is that he nearly ignores the fact that many popular conservatives actually behave like elites -- as he defines them, and even including himself -- much of the time. I think a more balanced position would have made this book much more noteworthy rather than just a well written hit piece. Still, I highly recommend it.

Obama's Wars (Bob Woodward) - Not a huge fan of Woodward but this was the only book at the airport that looked interesting. It takes a behind the scenes look at the relationship between Obama and the military leadership during his first 18 months as POTUS. The contrast between Obama and Bush (i.e. engaged and thinking vs distant) is noted by the brass pretty dramatically. The struggle to balance positions taken in the campaign against military reality is very well done and would leave a positive impression on anyone.

Tear Down This Myth (Will Bunch) - Just started this book that goes after the GOP for making Ronald Reagan a god-like figure and largely misrepresenting his legacy in the process. The book doesn't disparage the man, but rather shows how the GOP has whitewashed his failures, gives him credit where it's not due and ignores genuine values (like a pragmatic sense to get the best deal you can) that don't fit into the image they've placed on the pedestal.

Power Rules (Leslie Gelb) - Supposed to be a very common sense analysis of how US power should be used to direct our foreign policy.

American Scripture (Pauline Maier) - Supposed to be a really great read on how the Declaration of Independence was actually written.

Listen to This (Alex Ross) - Something about music I was given as an Xmas present. No clue what's it about.

How bout you?

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
striperman36
Old Guy

Alone at Sea - John Morris

Where men win Glory
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
Alone at Sea - John Morris
This looks interesting, might have to put it on the list.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
striperman36
Old Guy

Interesting yes, I have most of the period books published and I like this the best.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

I think I need to move this to the Political forum - Where is the balance of Fiction / Non-Fiction in those? eye of the beholder stuff, eh?

Right now, Secrets of Surf Fishing at Night - Muller

Next - one of these two

Art of War: Sun Tzu

Six Frigates: Ian Toll

Reread in the future: GTD

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
JohnnySaxatilis

The Big One by David Kinney. Its about the derby on the vineyard. read it in 2 sittings. really entertaining. Published in 09, and the extent of the book is about the 07 derby and the yoyo controversy that ensued. Highly recommended!!

O also read tom clancy's new book Dead or Alive:
Not traditional tom clancy in that there arent big scale battles and feats of technology wiping out lesser forces, tank battles and tomahawk missles, and f-16's. Its nitty gritty intelligence agency, secret service, countless acronyms, shooting terrorists in the face while they sleep type stuff.. pretty neat. and graphic....

Last edited by JohnnySaxatilis; 01-16-2011 at 01:33 PM..

something clever and related to fishing
JohnnySaxatilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:31 AM   #7
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySaxatilis View Post
O also read tom clancy's new book Dead or Alive:
Not traditional tom clancy in that there arent big scale battles and feats of technology wiping out lesser forces, tank battles and tomahawk missles, and f-16's. Its nitty gritty intelligence agency, secret service, countless acronyms, shooting terrorists in the face while they sleep type stuff.. pretty neat. and graphic....
Is it real Clancy a la Rainbow Six, & Ryan series stuff? Or is it the crap that gets ghost written?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:58 AM   #8
mosholu
Mosholu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Is it real Clancy a la Rainbow Six, & Ryan series stuff? Or is it the crap that gets ghost written?
It is a mix. He had a second writer but it has all the classic characters from the Ryan novels: Clark, Chavez and the next generation. Not one of his bests but I like his technical descriptions of procedures and operations so for me it was a good read.
mosholu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:04 AM   #9
Hookedagain

War by Sabastian Junger. Excellent read about the war we are currently fighting. A journalist who travels with the troops and sees things first hand. I enjoyed it alot.
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:07 PM   #10
JohnnySaxatilis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
ya its clark, ding chavez, Jack Ryan Jr., and Jack Ryan Sr. who are empoloyed by this outside gov agency made up of former spooks from the cia and rainbow six operatives and fbi agents called The Campus. The deal in hedge funds and wealth management and fund themselves. They're like a terrorist cell hunting org, thats set up like a terrorist cell lol. There's only one US army op at the beginning which is money but i wont spoil nething else.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #11
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
ya its clark, ding chavez, Jack Ryan Jr., and Jack Ryan Sr. who are empoloyed by this outside gov agency made up of former spooks from the cia and rainbow six operatives and fbi agents called The Campus. The deal in hedge funds and wealth management and fund themselves. They're like a terrorist cell hunting org, thats set up like a terrorist cell lol. There's only one US army op at the beginning which is money but i wont spoil nething else.
It's the same friggin plot all the time. He has people ghost write that stuff, just like Cussler.

I shudda writ thar darn novelle.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #12
JohnnySaxatilis

ya you can tell the difference between old clancy and this one. best clancy novel? mines Clear and Present Danger. lets hear em. dad's is Cardinal of the Kremlin.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #13
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
ya you can tell the difference between old clancy and this one. best clancy novel? mines Clear and Present Danger. lets hear em. dad's is Cardinal of the Kremlin.
X2 C&PD