Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 02-24-2004, 09:18 PM   #1
macojoe
Seal Control

Send a message via AIM to macojoe Send a message via Yahoo to macojoe
Hard drive replacement ??

Well I have just finished upgrading my hard drive from a 40 gig to a 160 gig and all went well!!
I installed the soft ware that came with the drive and installed it as a 2nd drive. Then when it rebooted it asked if I wanted to make the new drive the master, I said yes then it asked if i wanted to copy files from old 40 gig to new 160 gig, i said yes, after that i reboted and then removed the 40 gig and all is well!!
I never lost one file!! Of coarse i backed everything up first just incase.
This was a big thing for me as i have never done this before!! and I am so happy it all worked out

But what started this whole thing was my son's computer got a boot drive virus in his 4 gig drive and it was not worth getting it cleaned for the money. I tryed to clean it my self but no deal!!
So I said I will upgrade mine since i was already using 1/2 the 40 gig drive i had, and then I would put it in the sick machine. Killing two birds with one stone?

Well now i can't get the old 333 machine to run I put the drive in and formated it with 98SE but it goes thur the wohle thing and then says can't run windows because some 32 file or something is missing?? I have tryed reloading 3 times and the same thing??

Does anyone have any ideas??

Sorry for the long post but wanted to give you as much info as possible. Thanks guy'si
macojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:22 PM   #2
macojoe
Seal Control

O yea I have a Dell Dimension 4400 1.6g with XP 512 ram P4

Putting the 40 gig hard drive in a Compaq 2286 Celron 333 128 ram with 98se. To replace the bad 4g hard drive.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:39 AM   #3
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

What's the "Some 32 File"? Can you be a little more specific?

If you still have access to a 98 machine make a boot disk, boot up to it and run fdisk at the c: prompt. Then try and and load up 98 on the PC.

Where you had XP loaded before It may be formatted as an NTFS partition and 98 is having trouble recognizing it.

Let me know if this is of any help?
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:06 AM   #4
macojoe
Seal Control

Thanks Dad-Fisherman!!

I forgot to right that down when I was posting, and did not have it.

Ok it is a Western Dig Hard drive 40 gig It is going into a Compaq Persio 2286 333 mhz, with 128 ram and use to have a 4 gig hard drive till it got 3 Virus. I got 2 out but one is some king of boot thing and rather tear what little hair I have out to get it fixed I decided to upgrade my computer, and kill 2 birds with one stone.

Data Life guard came with the drive. i put it in the 333 and it said do you want to format this drive, YES, then it said do you want to install OS system, YES, Then which OS do you have, 98,, And the install went great! 3 times I have done this and I get this message on start up:

Wimdows Protection Error. You Need To Restart Your Computer.
C:\windows\system\VMM 32. VXD:missing/unable to load

The 40gig hard drive just came out of my Dell 4400 P4 1.6, 512 ram yesterday. And till then was always working great! I am sure there is just something wrong with set up.

Ok sorry but i am trying to give as much info as i can
Thanks all
Old 02-25-2004, 11:14 AM   #5
fishaholic18
Finally

MJ, I did a search on thay error message and here's what I came up with. I hope it helps.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;311188
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;191874
http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/ervmm32.htm

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 11:20 AM   #6
macojoe
Seal Control

Wow you guys are great!! I will try this tonight or tomorrow!! I am off to the Boston Expo for the boat show in a few minutes.

I will let you no what happpens FOR SURE!!

Thanks
Old 02-25-2004, 12:09 PM   #7
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Tell me this isn't a sign of the times......15 years ago would you have looked at an IT guy and associated him w/ Hard-Fishing and Hard-Drinking....I think not
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 07:25 PM   #8
macojoe
Seal Control

Not a chance!! They were all working!