Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 01-13-2004, 11:58 PM   #1
fishaholic18
Finally

Went to the doctor today

I've been out of work for close to 5 months now with a herniated disc in my back. I did 2 months of therapy and a couple of cordizone shots and I'm still in pain. The doctors say it's not bad enough for surgery, which I don't want anyway. The question I have is have any of you had an epidural block? The doc is scheduling me for one, and up to 3 if I need it. What should I expect???? I want to go back to work believe it or not. I'm allset with being Mr. Mom for now, although my kids have been great.

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 08:09 AM   #2
MakoMike

Fish,
Ask a woman whose had kids, its a standard pain blocker during labor.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 08:20 AM   #3
goosefish

Fishaholic--Its a good time to heal. But I hear you about going back to work. A few years back I missed a bunch of work, popped a few tendons in my arm, surgery, lay up time, etc.
But back pain--and it sounds like you got some--is a whole different thing. My back is killing me too; but five months out. Got to heal so you can fish when the fish show. As for the epidural all I've heard about is what MakoMike said.
Hope all goes well.
goosefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 08:41 AM   #4
mrmacey
Fishing Chauffeur

Send a message via AIM to mrmacey
I know one thing

watching the birth of my son c-section with only that epidural the pain the wife would have had to endure getting that 10lb baby out he was even hard c-section all I can say is it blocks pain.
mrmacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 04:56 PM   #5
CustomMarineProducts
I'm not from here

We had all three kids with C sections. The epedural blocked every bit of it for her. It depends how much they give and where.
Pain is actually a good thing though, it makes you stop using something that is hurt. You have to be careful, cause you can do more damage, cause you don't have the pain to tell you when enough is enough. I guess you have to trust in your local quack, that he or she knows how much to give you, and where.
As far as the Mr. Mom, I raised three boys pretty much on my own, and this third guy is home schooled by me and with me 24/7.
I know I have learned alot from my kids. It has been a long road, but I wouldn't trade a day of it. The time we have spent together has made us the best of friends. I think you'll find, that when you go back to work, you'll miss being Mr. Mom.
CustomMarineProducts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 05:02 PM   #6
chris L

the needle is long and thick but no pain after . my wife said she felt nothing and I mean nothing from the waist down .
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 11:38 AM   #7
Rappin Mikey
My brother is bald

I feel ya man. Just back to work after a month of recovery. I had cabin fever like you wouldn't believe. I got a longer, thicker needle introdoced to Mr. Wanky after surgery. I used to not mind needles, now I loathe them.

seals + plovers =
Rappin Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 11:50 AM   #8
CustomMarineProducts
I'm not from here

I don't know if all this talk about giant needles is really helping any!!
CustomMarineProducts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 12:00 PM   #9
Jimbo

RM that needle description and reference to MrWanky has me doubled over in pain. Don't do that, man, the shrinkage factor is already a concern with the 10 degree weather, don't make it worse by scaring him, too.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 12:48 PM   #10
chris L

you got to know what coming .
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 04:19 PM   #11
Bawana

needle in mr wankey*s eye aint nothing I Had to go to Urologist for Kidney stone and him and his nurse sent in the Chunnel boring machine way past mr wankeys tonsils to watch on TV moniter.I love the This wont hurt--I guess they ment themselves
Bawana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 04:41 PM   #12
HighTide

Send a message via AIM to HighTide
I had the ESD done a few years ago at the NE Baptist Hospital. Suffered lower back pain for years until it got to the point where I'd get shooting pains in both my legs every time I moved. Anyway, the doc suggested I try this procedure and if it didn't work out, we'd opt for surgery. I had the first shot and I felt a difference after a couple of days. Then after 2 more booster shots spaced about 45 days apart I feel much better. They also told me it's a 60% success rate.

Staying home is fun. For about a week
HighTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 04:51 PM   #13
Jimbo

you guys are killin' me...no seriously I'm just reading it and I'm in pain. I think I would rather have passed the stone the excrutingly painful old fashioned way.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 06:41 PM   #14
Raven

pain remedy

Ive dealt with pain in my back since age 18..........

ALL PAIN is caused by PRESSURE on the nerves......
analogy: your nerves are sorta like a length of electrical wire
like romex with an outer layer the white outside coating , made up of lethicin which the body produces and the inner layers covering the copper wires is made up of a substance known as MYALIN called the myalin sheath. This inner most layer is replenished each night while you sleep and its why as the day wears on you feel frazzled as it wears thin. Lethicin is obtainable where ever you buy VITAMINS and by taking it as a supplement you protect the inner layer of myalin. To promote rapid healing you have to take ALLOT more than the RDA (recommended daily allowance) of vitamin A , C, E,
as for stones: a good remedy and one of the oldest known on EARTH is to correct your bodys PH which when too akaline calcium goes into a precipitate or a SOLID (stone) and when your PH is more acidic it is melted away because calcium goes back into solution in a slightly acid medium. This is acomplished by mixing one tablespoon each of APPLE Cider vinegar and honey until blended then mixing it with welches grape juice (tastes like wine)or water.Its also a great remedy for arthritus and helps you to redistribute body fat and loose weight.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 02:47 PM   #15
fishaholic18
Finally

I got my second epidural shot today, man does that hurt like a bastard!!! It did take away some of the pain, but no where near all of it. I have to get my 3rd next Monday. The doc. says it usually takes 3 shots to do the trick. I hope so. I'll keep you guys posted on if it works.

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote