Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 01-10-2004, 07:23 PM   #1
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Question cork ring foregrip?

is there anywhere online that i can get solid cork ring foregrip for a larger rod or do i have to get it specially made? if custom is the way to go, any one out there do it?
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 09:29 PM   #2
bud8fan

Lightbulb

Toby,
Mike had them at his shop!!
bud8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 11:20 AM   #3
Bawana

Rodbuilders workshop in Kingston Ma. carries both the select and the Burled Portugese cork rings with various inside diameters.He also does an excellent job installing them.He also does the nicest wraps I*ve seen But I think he has like a 2 year waiting list. You then have to epoxy them together in a jig.Then drill or ream them to size and epoxy them to blank. Next put rod in lathe and sand the cork to shape and size. The pre made ones I*ve seen are select cork.Its usually a lighter color.Just have to ream them out to size and epoxy on.Should then be coated with U-40 cork preserver.I built a set up to do this and your welcome to use if you want cork that bad.I took Smitty*s rod class years ago and did a rod with cork grips The gsb1201m.It looks nice but its a lot of extra work and burled cork rings are kinda expensive.
Bawana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 01:22 PM   #4
Roger

Re: cork ring foregrip?

Quote:
Originally posted by t.lapinski
is there anywhere online that i can get solid cork ring foregrip for a larger rod
Try:
http://customtackle.com/
and
http://www.mudhole.com/

Best regards,
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 01:55 PM   #5
Saltheart

Check around. lots of shops carry premade lengths of cork in various OD's. Almost always you have to ream out the ID to fit the rod.

If you can find a preglued length of select cork , that's pretty good stuff. Avoid cork with lots of imperfections like small holes. they tend not to dress up well after sanding to shape.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 09:52 AM   #6
JeffH
Boat by Day Surf by Night

Toby, Jimmy had some of the burled cork in preglued unshaped. Used it for foregrips for a few conventionals......very nice. It is easily sanded to any shape and is very durable stuff.
JeffH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 10:04 AM   #7
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

thanks, jeff. i emailed him this morning about it as i remembered last night he had that. i may swing by tonight. i need a bunch of guides for the winter projects.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote