Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 09-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #1
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

WTF

I got's this wicked bad cold, stuffed up head, friggin miserable feeling thing going on so i head to drug store for some relief. I find the product that I want and only get a card to go to pharmacist to get the drug as it has one of the ingredients people use to make a even better drug I guess. I ask for the drug. I have to show my license. I have to sign a waiver. I feel like crap and all i want to do is go to bed and I have to go thru all this bull crap. It is only 8 tablets for god sake. Probably would have been faster to go to street corner to get some Mucinex. Ok done whinning. thanks for listening Larry

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
No problem Paul.....anytime! Thats why I am here!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
Raven

Exclamation Feel better Paul

for someone so versed in the growing of flowers

you should try echinacea herb (at walmart)

i have been taking it now for 3 years straight

and ever since then no more colds...

the only time i did get a slight cold was when we ran out
for a month
and i stopped taking it because i had none

the efficiency of it was proven by GERMAN researchers
beyond a shadow of a doubt ....

other than that you should have a tiny amount of chinese food hot yellow mustard. it hits the back side of the inside of your head in what 5 seconds ...then sinuses and the pressure fade away

rub some metholatum on your chest B4 taking a nap
a dab in each nostril too
to unstuff your head also works like a charm

BTW : when you rob yourself of sleep your
immune system basically is cut in half

The oldest remedy
is a glass of welches grape juice.......with
1 tsp or table spoon of apple cider vinegar (only 5 percent)
mixed with an equal amount of honey (suited to taste)
blended in the glass FIRST
then add the grape juice (tastes like wine a bit)

this shifts your PH back to slightly ACIDIC
where no germs or virus's can Live
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

my problem Craig is i got a 9 year old germ carrier attending a facility that houses 100's of germ carriers. Always seems she wants to kiss me more when she is sick too. I am finally catching on. She is paying me back for the times I tell her what she can and can't do.

The sleep thing is always an issue this time of year. No doubt that is what got me this time and the fact everyone else in my house is sick. Thanks for the remedys. Vicks vapo rub tonite for sure

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 09-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
I got's this wicked bad cold, stuffed up head, friggin miserable feeling thing going on so i head to drug store for some relief. I find the product that I want and only get a card to go to pharmacist to get the drug as it has one of the ingredients people use to make a even better drug I guess. I ask for the drug. I have to show my license. I have to sign a waiver. I feel like crap and all i want to do is go to bed and I have to go thru all this bull crap. It is only 8 tablets for god sake. Probably would have been faster to go to street corner to get some Mucinex. Ok done whinning. thanks for listening Larry
you fit the profile of a drug dealer
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:13 PM   #6
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

lol. i certainly looked like I was on drugs this morning, that crap warmed over look.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
my problem Craig is i got a 9 year old germ carrier attending a facility that houses 100's of germ carriers. Always seems she wants to kiss me more when she is sick too. I am finally catching on. She is paying me back for the times I tell her what she can and can't do.
LOL P. the little ones catch on fast.

The only thing that helps me is Zinc Lozenges. If i feel one coming on
and take them right away it knocks it out in 2 days.
Does a job on your stomach if you take too many though.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
Zeal
Always a Rookie

If you are getting a cold/think you have one you can do a few things:

Pattern 1: If you find that you are getting chills, aren't sweating, have a stiff neck (not from sleeping funny), find that you are getting cold easier than normal, have some runny and clear discharge from the nose: drink ginger tea with scallions and some brown sugar and from there either take a hot bath (as hot as you can tolerate) and lay in it for 20 minutes, or get under a lot of covers and get yourself to break a sweat. Make sure you wear long and loose clothing (i.e. sweatpants with a t-shirt and sweatshirt, pajamas). Drink the ginger tea at least twice a day, or even better put it in a big thermos to take with you to sip on at work all day.

Also what you can do is cut up fresh slices of ginger and scallions, mix it with chicken broth, rice and a pinch of cinnamon and simmer it for 5 minutes. After eating, get under covers to induce sweating if you weren't after eating that concoction (give it a little bit to digest to see).

Pattern 2: If you find that your skin feels warmer than normal to the touch, you are sweating a little bit but feel no relief, have a red sore throat, drier mouth than normal, have higher thirst:

Drink Mint Tea with a spoonful of honey or Chrysanthemum tea.

For either pattern

Take your index finger or thumb (whichever) from one hand and press down in between the thumb and forefinger in the meat of the web, feel around and eventually you will feel a pressure point. Dig into this with your finger and massage it in a circular motion (it should be either mild or strong sensation but not enough to make yourself screaming for mercy). You can also rub that area with the same area with your other hand. Do it briskly until they both feel hot. When it feels hot or as hot as it will get stop.

(LI) Large Intestine Meridian - Graphic | Yin Yang House

The point is LI 4

Best diagram I can give you to help locate it sadly.

Next, position your arm with the forearm belly facing your body along with the palm of your hand. Feel with your finger about inch above the pit that your wrist makes (called the "snuff box") on the bone. Should feel a slight depression, press down and rub in a circular motion like the one before. Do this a few minutes each day.

(LU) Lung Meridian - Graphic | Yin Yang House

The point is LU 7 (There are a few locations for this point but I am describing the position of the arm differently because there are points around that area which can help you even if you miss)

The areas I mentioned to massage are powerful acupuncture points and basically you are doing Acupressure (the only other thing you can really do to stimulate Acupuncture points besides getting needled).

For Congestion

To get rid of that Damp in your head, you can get yourself a Neti Pot (SinuCleanse I think is the company now you can search either, its in the local drug stores) which is phenomenal (just if you are using it make sure to always breathe out your mouth while doing it and never use just water along with making your chin tilt higher than your ear), add a drop of pure Tea Tree oil with the solution that is used with the neti pot (saline) to kill any viruses lingering. Use it about twice a day (I do morning and then night), you can do more if needed. If not that, get Alkalol and follow the directions on the bottle.

Phew, sorry for the long post but I really hope this helps. It isn't a cure by any means but it does help reduce the duration. If I was nearby I would come by and treat you myself.

What I said above anybody else can also use, it is a very useful bit of knowledge to have (saying this humbly because it has saved my ass on several occasions).

Last edited by Zeal; 09-28-2010 at 02:50 PM..

"Your first word was "Fishing", not "Mom", not "Dad", "FISHING." - Mom

Black, White, Chartreuse/Parrot = the Holy Trinity
Zeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:45 PM   #9
Zeal
Always a Rookie

Just to clarify, you can use those points universally. The real difference you need to watch is what tea and whether or not to make yourself sweat or not. The difference seems subtle but it is actually huge.

"Your first word was "Fishing", not "Mom", not "Dad", "FISHING." - Mom

Black, White, Chartreuse/Parrot = the Holy Trinity
Zeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:05 PM   #10
Jenn

gee Prof. M you kind of remind me of someone...

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...tml#post517283

.... I too have had the massive head cold for about 4 days myself and I am SO ready to be done with it!

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:30 PM   #11
striperman36
Old Guy

Prof should get us all stuff. I need it bad.... He has a place to refine it too, I think.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:17 PM   #12
Raven

pills never did Sh!T

in my book
Old 09-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #13
striperman36
Old Guy

let's make them into something that will!!
Old 09-29-2010, 08:48 AM   #14
Raven

Arrow you're Right BILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
let's make them into something that will!!
lets make them into an INSTANT Turkey dinner

you pop one and instantly you feel thanksgiving satisfied
like a beached whale about to pass out on tryptophan

thats the expectations i see people have in dammed PILLS really
and it always literally amazes me to NO end.

I hear Ya PAUL about the GERM bank schools are
it's necessary for them though to get exposed in order to
build up an immunity to all the contagious bugs....

Bad for adults who haven't yet been exposed to the latest and the greatest virus ect... so the ONLY option is to beef up the old immune system

1.)Vitamin C
2.)plenty of rest
3.)echinacea
Spices they double your immune system power
but ....then again hot goin in
and hot coming out = use wisely (sparingly)
4.) Kelp tablets
5.) read this about coffee

lol.... what they said,
10 Ways to Boost Immune Health: Stop cold, flu & depression in their tracks - before you get sick
Old 09-29-2010, 01:31 PM   #15
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

all excellent remedies. Thank you for your time. Skipping work tonite to sleep in, I need to rest up for my week off next week. Going in last nite was a big mistake. going to try that ginger tea concoction today. .

Old 09-29-2010, 01:57 PM   #16
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
I got's this wicked bad cold, stuffed up head, friggin miserable feeling thing going on so i head to drug store for some relief. I find the product that I want and only get a card to go to pharmacist to get the drug as it has one of the ingredients people use to make a even better drug I guess. I ask for the drug. I have to show my license. I have to sign a waiver. :
I think this is because you are a Zappa fan.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:06 PM   #17
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

LOL. I needed that laugh. you catch any fish today?, awful nice out there.

funny thing is Frank was drug free