Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 08-13-2007, 06:05 PM   #1
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

CORN

Every summer one of the best parts of living in the country is the local Mennonite farm stand up the road. It's a family of people who wear the original dress every day and don't work on Sunday etc.

They have a organic farm and grow some of the best vegetables you can find anywhere. I discovered their corn a few years ago and every year we look forward to their harvest. Literally I have never ever been disappointed with anything from them.

They got some of the best corn...butter and sugar every year...stopped on the way home today and got a bakers dozen...wife cooked it with some leftover chicken tonite.

Didja ever smell a batch of corn all the way across the house that just smelled soooooo good you knew it was going to be awesome and 1000x better than the cardboard they sell in a store? The smell that just made your mind say wow that's awesome

Man this stuff just didn't disappoint. The kernels were so fat that you got one chomp and your mouth was full. SWEET like someone poured sugar on it.

I ate 4 ears.

I had to get that off my chest
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:24 PM   #2
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

oh man i LOVE sweet corn.....we 've got four town farms and a little family stand in bristol. bought some yesterday ummmm..

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:30 PM   #3
Slingah

yum-yum

Live at Leeds
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:49 PM   #4
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterhours View Post
oh man i LOVE sweet corn.....we 've got four town farms and a little family stand in bristol. bought some yesterday ummmm..
The one in Bristol is tops.

We never get Silver Queen tho. In South Jersey that stuff is the best, right off of the stalk!!
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:45 PM   #5
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Smile

We have a stand down the road that i visit every afternoon, starting July1-Sept 30, to get corn for supper.

Secret is to get it in the pot as soon as it's picked before the sugar turns into starch.

Another old secret, take a sharp knife and cut each row from end to end before buttering.
The kernels just open up as you knaw, letting the butter and juices flow.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:11 PM   #6
Backbeach Jake

Thumbs up

Butter and Sugar; shuck it and grill it nekkid with a little butter and salt and pepper. Wait for some of the kernels to carmelize. I'll never boil or steam corn again..
PS the ears that you don't eat, cut the kernels from them , freeze and save for your chowders. A quantum leap in flavor...

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:00 PM   #7
Raven

Arrow jake

some people i've seen wrap-em in tin foil for on top of the grill...
with some butter put inside....

i have a half acre i have to clear for corn ....thats been over taken by

the woods and is so thick there's no longer any air flow from the creek where it's real nice and cool...
~
last night or i should say early this morning a racoon was getting into my trash and woke me up... a bit early .... 4 am f-n bastid

i'll build a stone walled enclosure at the new spot...
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:06 PM   #8
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Smile

Rav, like striperman36 said, Silver Queen variety,

and Green Mountain potatoes and you'll have to beat your customers off with a hoe.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote