Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 04-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Thanks Providence's finest

so I am coming home from the show today. Providence, and I get lost up on those streets around the colleges as I am trying to take the back way home via rt. 44 because of the traffic. So I get lost and come to an intersection and end up on the wrong side as I wanted to go right so I turn left as that is the lane I am in. I am following a van in front of me as he goes left so i follow thinking I will go up street and then cut back over towards the direction I wanted. Next thing I know I am being pulled over as is the guy in front of me. I explain I am lost, even have a street map out on seat, he tells me I went left and that is a no no. No other cars were anywhere in sight so there was no danger factor really. License and reg. Makes me wait 20 minutes as he does his thing and comes back and gives me a friggin ticket for 85 bucks. So much for cutting me some slack. Thats what I get for being lost and following the wrong guy. Nice to be home.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
Redsoxticket

If you have 3 years of a clean record then the ticket will be waived. Go to MA registry and obtain your driving history before the court date.
Oh yeah that will cost you a plug, lol
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Redsoxticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #3
Slingah

bummer.....
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:57 PM   #4
JohnnyD

It's all part of the Funding Reacquisition Program. Many cops are being absolute pricks lately. Heard of someone getting a ticked for doing 44MPH in a 40.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:24 AM   #5
Raven

gps time

and welcome back home PAUL
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:26 AM   #6
Backbeach Jake

To Serve and Protect...pfffft! I know for a fact that there are worse criminals in Providence than you, Paul. Chicken%$%$%$%$ ticket...

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
It's all part of the Funding Reacquisition Program. Many cops are being absolute pricks lately. Heard of someone getting a ticked for doing 44MPH in a 40.
Yup. It's all about the Benjamins. Coming home from Falmouth, 9:15 in the evening, no cars on the road, there's a Bourne cruiser parked lights out on Rte 28 just before the dump, radar on. I've seen them in the evening hours, in light traffic conditions, parked with their lights out on the shoulder of Scenic Highway and on Sandwich Road. I've seen more cars pulled over in Bourne in the last 3 months than in all of the last 3 years. Same deal on Cranberry Highway in East Wareham.

Coming home from NY at 3 AM a couple of months ago, there was a Marion cruiser parked on a 195 overpass, radar gun pointed out the passenger side window.

I never do more than 5 over on the highways and try to keep it within a few mph of the limit on secondary roads.

They're going to be having a field day with tickets during tourist season. Be advised.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:11 AM   #8
Nebe

To serve and protect.... Their pension fund.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:22 AM   #9
Slipknot
Super Moderator

shoulda called me and I would've drove this year
I didn't know you were going

85 bucks is kinda steep
money grab
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:37 AM   #10
striperman36
Old Guy

Welcome Home Paul.
I got nabbed in my hometown a few weeks back same kinda deal.
No slack for the homeboy either.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:06 AM   #11
striperman36
Old Guy

Another dude got really mad about it

Oops, I just leaned on it to talk to someone.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...t_fit_of_rage/
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:01 AM   #12
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
shoulda called me and I would've drove this year
I didn't know you were going

85 bucks is kinda steep
money grab
wasn't sure I was going Bruce as I got in late Thursday nite. Last minute thing. Next year you drive.
Not sure it is worth fighting it, all the way to Providence. I have a squeaky clean driving record but if my insurance will not be affected I may say screw it, but I ain't happy about it. Real bush call IMO and yes 85 is really steep for taking a wrong turn. I said to him as he gave it to me that I guess in this economy warnings are out of the question. He just smiled and said have a nice day.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 04-04-2009, 11:32 AM   #13
Sea Dangles

Paul, he's right about the driving record thing. Worth your while and quick to do. You'll never be in front of the judge and the record will remain clean.
Chris

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:50 AM   #14
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

thanks guys I guess I will try.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:39 PM   #15
Redsoxticket

Remember to get driving record beforehand.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:26 PM   #16
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Bummer for sure.
Do what ya can P. as a moving violation equals points and INS CO. will pick that up.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #17
Joe

There's a "Friendship Street" in Providence - it's a one-way.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:05 AM   #18
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
so I am coming home from the show today. Providence, and I get lost up on those streets around the colleges as I am trying to take the back way home via rt. 44 because of the traffic. So I get lost and come to an intersection and end up on the wrong side as I wanted to go right so I turn left as that is the lane I am in. I am following a van in front of me as he goes left so i follow thinking I will go up street and then cut back over towards the direction I wanted. Next thing I know I am being pulled over as is the guy in front of me. I explain I am lost, even have a street map out on seat, he tells me I went left and that is a no no. No other cars were anywhere in sight so there was no danger factor really. License and reg. Makes me wait 20 minutes as he does his thing and comes back and gives me a friggin ticket for 85 bucks. So much for cutting me some slack. Thats what I get for being lost and following the wrong guy. Nice to be home.
So what was there to tell you not to go left, pavement markings, or no left turn signs?????
I would suggest that you tell the judge that being as close as you were to the truck in front of you, that it was impossible to see any signs because of the size of the trucks body or the pavement markings were worn by a winters worth of salt and traffic. Go back and take a picture of how chitty the intersection/area looks and bring it with you.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:09 AM   #19
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Coming home from RI this morning saw 6 staties at different parts of 95 either with someone pulled over or looking to pull someone over.

Hit a section of 95 where the speed limit went down to 45 and sure enough there was one waiting right around the corner

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #20
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Coming home from RI this morning saw 6 staties at different parts of 95 either with someone pulled over or looking to pull someone over.

Hit a section of 95 where the speed limit went down to 45 and sure enough there was one waiting right around the corner
Yesterday there was one in Seekonk on the 195 median, not 200' from the RI line. The odd thing is, the limit goes from 55 in East Providence to 65 the minute you hit the Mass line--so maybe he was just grabbing a coffee there.

At least in Mass, the Staties are still giving you a little leeway on how much over the limit you can be before they pull you over. Some of the town cops around here aren't even giving you 38 in a 35

I wouldn't mind it if their primary goal was improving highway safety--but we all know that it's about revenue, and once this crunch is over, 495 will go back to being the Wild West where you might get run off the road if you're doing a mere 80.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #21
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
Some of the town cops around here aren't even giving you 38 in a 35
I can't believe that with all the variables factored in a 4% overage can even be argued legally.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:26 PM   #22
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
So what was there to tell you not to go left, pavement markings, or no left turn signs?????
I would suggest that you tell the judge that being as close as you were to the truck in front of you, that it was impossible to see any signs because of the size of the trucks body or the pavement markings were worn by a winters worth of salt and traffic. Go back and take a picture of how chitty the intersection/area looks and bring it with you.
I guess no left turn sign but like you stated I couldn't see anything as I was behind a van on a one way street stuck on the left side and wanting to be in the right but not knowing it. To be honest I wasn't looking for any no left turn signs I was trying to figure out where the hell I was and just played follow the leader with the car in front of me. I should tell the judge I'm just plain stupid and I blame him for leading me the wrong way.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:32 PM   #23
Cool Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
I would suggest that you tell the judge that being as close as you were to the truck in front of you,
Careful with that one, he may tag you with following too close on top of the no left turn.. Kinda like saying I didn't see the signs, because of my speed they were all a blur.....
Cool Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:34 PM   #24
Redsoxticket

It doesn't matter what you say because you will know the outcome when you hand over your clean driving record of 3 years min... Now if you want to fight it, well good luck.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:49 PM   #25
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
I guess no left turn sign but like you stated I couldn't see anything as I was behind a van on a one way street stuck on the left side and wanting to be in the right but not knowing it. To be honest I wasn't looking for any no left turn signs I was trying to figure out where the hell I was and just played follow the leader with the car in front of me. I should tell the judge I'm just plain stupid and I blame him for leading me the wrong way.
Thats another thought. Actually that was my point. Not being able to see behind the truck at all. My brother and I got lost yesterday trying to get back onto 95 north. We almost turned down a street I wouldn't go down without a gun on me.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote