Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-22-2006, 09:16 PM   #1
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Lead weights..

I need some .5" wide by about 1.5" long leads. Sort of like tail weights, but they don't need to have the wire hole. Any sources for this out there, or do I have to make a mold for my little project?

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:18 PM   #2
fishaholic18
Finally

How many ya looking for?
I may be able to do them for you.

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:30 PM   #3
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Depends on how well the first few come out. Still looking into gathering all the supplies up. Lead and trees are the last items on the list. Not going commercial in any way, but I know I must owe a few guys a few things.

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:42 PM   #4
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Sounds like the weight that goes in those Frech plugs I've been making. If that's what you're planning PM me first, there are several mistakes in the plans. The weights are also easy to pour. Just bolt two machined pieces of maple together and drill down the center. Presto, easy mold that holds up pretty well.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:11 AM   #5
Diamond Tackle

If you really need to make a mold for this for long term use, Use a DO IT blank mold and take it to a machine shop, they can knock this out in no time.
The DO IT molds are already hinged, and have nice handles. For something like this they can either run a ball cutter horizontally, or even drill and then ream the cavities to size with the mold clamped together. The Reamer will give you a much nicer finish and the parts will release better. Aluminum galls easily if you dont use a cutting fluid like kerosene,so let a competent machinist do this for you.

Diamond Tackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:12 PM   #6
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I don't know about competent but I might be able to help you on a simple quick job. Anything more involved I am pretty busy with goverment jobs right now. You get the mold and send to me. Do you mean .500 diameter by 1.5 long? Paul

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:48 PM   #7
mikecc
Plug Builder in Training

Already got them being made. I will be picking up the finished product on Monday. It will be a regular stock item in the shop.

mikecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:56 PM   #8
Diamond Tackle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty
I don't know about competent but I might be able to help you on a simple quick job. Anything more involved I am pretty busy with goverment jobs right now. You get the mold and send to me. Do you mean .500 diameter by 1.5 long? Paul
I think youre pretty competent.
Seems he wants them without the center holes at .500" diameter x 1.500" length , its gonna weigh around 1.93 oz (.2945 cu in PB) , no hole according to the description.

Diamond Tackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 11:14 AM   #9
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Sounds like a 15 min job if that is all he wants. Sounds like Mike might have what you are looking for if not let me know. Don't wait too long the line is getting longer. Paul

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 02-24-2006, 11:18 AM   #10
Mugz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty
We call them "G" jobs........but those are usually the jobs we do for ourselves.
Mugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 11:32 AM   #11
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Yup. G jobs, government jobs those are the important jobs. All the other jobs are just the ones that pay the bills.