Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 04-15-2004, 11:48 AM   #1
Jigman

Conventional Setup

I asked this question on another forum and have gotten some good input. Figured I'd check here and see what others have to say.

I'm looking for a new conventional setup. Need distance. Would like to keep the rod no more than 8 feet (transporting), but could go a little longer if needed. I have a friend who wraps rods and has been trying to get me started in that too. Thinking this might be the time to give it a go.

Here is the deal. Setup would be used for landlocked stripers. Fishing below dams in rivers. Distance needed depends on the gate(s) that are open, people there, and the river, but generally the farther the better. Be throwing mostly topwater stuff: pencils, spooks, etc., in the 1-2 oz range. Might throw a jig or two as well. Most of the stripers are 15# or less in size, though they could be in a pretty good current.

I have a bunch of 5501 c3, 6501 c3 and c4. I can use one of those, or get something different. If I go with one of those, any suggestions of mods that might help increase distance?

Appreciate any help!

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 12:50 PM   #2
Saltheart

Sabre 967 types or the equivalent ne wrainshadows would do well. They will probably toss 2 OZ a good 100 yards and should have enough balls to land the fish. not sure excatly how much current you are fighting where you are. Anyway , you can also cut down (from the butt) almost any of the popular 9 foot surfrods and they should do the job well also . I would look at the 967's though. Musg more versatile than you would expect.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 08:23 PM   #3
Jigman

Thanks! Will check into the Sabres. How do they handle pencils? I have a couple of 8 foot rods. Seems that the medium with extra fast action one will work a pencil much better than the HM with fast action.

Not positive on the current. I've floated one of the rivers in my boat. GPS read 2.5-2.8 mph as the boat drifted down river. Right below the dams, probably a lot stronger current.

Jigman
Old 04-18-2004, 05:40 PM   #4
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

conventional setup

agree with saltheart on the sabre blanks, sounds like a 1087 w/ 6" cut off the butt would the trick. your 6500c4"s distance will increase if you install ceramic bearings and the dual bearing level wind kit. trey at hatteras outfitters can supply. good luck !

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 07:32 AM   #5
Jigman

Thanks! Have gotten upgrades from HO before. Will look into the level wind upgradd too.

Jigman
Old 04-19-2004, 10:56 AM   #6
Bawana

for my 2 cents worth if transporting is the only thing limiting length then get a two piece blank like the pac bay 1087F-2 or the allstar 1145-2 both lite rods that are excellent and would give plenty of casting distance aand would handle fish
Bawana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 11:12 AM   #7
PNG

Agree that the 967 is a very good rod, another to look at is the Patriot(amtak/allstar) sws597. I made one (spin) and was very hard on last year.
Actually I tried to break it (I wanted to make another, slightly different setup) but its ready for another season.

Goodluck

Chris
PNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 11:53 AM   #8
Jigman

Thanks, will check into those rods.

I also checked out a couple of Lami blanks. GSB1081L is 9' for 1/2 to 2 1/2 oz and the XRA 1083 is 9' for 1/2 to 2 1/4 oz. Any opinions on those?

Jigman
Old 04-19-2004, 12:03 PM   #9
spence

I just got the 1083 this weekend. Excellent stick although I don't plan to take it much over 1-1/2 ounces. If you were going to be getting into large fish regularly I would want something with more backbone...

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 12:23 PM   #10
Saltheart

Don't widen what I said to all Sabre/pac Bay blanks. I recommended the 967 , its pretty sweet in that size.

Saltheart
Old 04-19-2004, 02:06 PM   #11
Jigman

Saltheart,

Can't seem to locate info on the Sabre 976 rods/blanks. Any suggestions where to look? The links on the Penn site are down. Thanks!

Jigman
Old 04-19-2004, 02:07 PM   #12
Jigman

Spence,

Probably 15# and less on the fish size. Couple guys I know that fish the area a lot say they have seen a couple of 20# stripers, but they are few and far between.

Jigman
Old 04-19-2004, 02:16 PM   #13
Saltheart

Its a PacBay/Sabre 967. Its 8 feet , 1 piece and its rated 3/4 to 3 but will handle a little more. I once used it to toss a 3 OZ sinker plus a chunk of Mackeral in Maine. I've landed fish over 43 inches long with mine and some evn over 30 lbs. using it and a Calcutta 400 and some eels. I don't know what to tell you about the current thing. Topught to have a rod that is very stout for the current but will also cast the lower weights but in 8 footers , this one is nice.

I have some if you can't find one near you.

Saltheart
Old 04-19-2004, 07:22 PM   #14
Jigman

Sounds like what you are telling me is that I should look more closely at 9 or 10 foot rods. Had not considered the current really. Probably most of what I would be throwing would be pencils in the 2 oz range. Always the chance of some lighter stuff, but I don't see going that much heavier. I'll take a look around for the PacBay Sabre too. Appreciate your help!

Jigman
Old 04-19-2004, 08:54 PM   #15
Goose

I agree with Mike, I recently wraped a batson 967(conv) and my brother luvs it throwin swim baits.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 07:53 AM   #16
Saltheart

I'm not suggesting a longer rod. If on a boat , 8 feet is usually plenty. If you are mostly at 2 OZ , then a heavier rod , maybe a 9 footer cut down would be good. An Allstar 1088 would certainly handle the current and also do the 2 OZ nicely. very light stuff won't be good on that rod. Most people want heavier stuff in a current anyway. I'm surprised your doing topwater. Every try jigging there?

Saltheart
Old 04-20-2004, 09:09 AM   #17
Jigman

I would be fishing from the bank. I've only fished there a few times. Most of my info comes from friends who fish there a bunch. A way to hit stripers during the week for me (boat places are 2-3 hours drive). Yes, in some areas jigs are used and I would certainly have a selection with me. That was my first thought too: throw a jig. Most of the guys like the topwater stuff for the evening bite. Lots of rocks and some shallow water is probably why they throw less subsurface stuff. Probably some deeper pools, but most is likely less than 10 feet deep. I have several rods for throwing jigs so I figure it would be worth looking into to something different for targeting the topwater stuff. Hard to pass up the chance for the topwater blast Not that I have a problem with jigs

Jigman