Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 08-06-2010, 05:12 AM   #1
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Social Networking sites PLEASE WATCH THIS

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Pass this on to your family too.

Just one of the reasons I pulled out of this stuff. If facebook etc isn't stealing your information and selling it then someone else is waiting to steal from you...
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:17 AM   #2
striperman36
Old Guy

If you are on the airwaves wired or ehter, you're stuff is gone, had several guys hacked over bluetooth in bars and lost their card stuff to the snarfers
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:06 AM   #3
Raven

Arrow

we are switchin over to cash only...
no other choice

cuz they found a way around pins

they make duplicate cards with ease

and their swiping (stealing) the card machines at registers
and hacking them at home

game over
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

When I joined facebook a long time ago it was because my wife was already on there and my kid was signing up. I saw what people were saying that were her friends and frankly it scared the crap out of me. Why would you EVER tell anyone when your not going to be home. That runs along the lines of your kid not telling strangers that they're home alone or a babysitter.

Then when I really started doing research of how this company can stay in business and have a business model where they don't charge the customer or derive the income off a user, only advertisers...I perked up and read more. Everyone needs to understand that they are mining the information on the site and are deriving income from advertising based on the information they know about you. Big brother and many more are watching. Very scary. So set you profile private. Big deal they still got alllll your information stored in a database. They also have your ip address, your computer address, etc etc. ONE halfway decent hacker is going in there one day and is going to infect tens of millions of people with a virus...or steal the database.

Yes I've heard people say put false information in there...well then why are you there in the first place if I can't look you up with your own name

I dumped facebook. Unfortunately they still got my information. I guarantee they did not delete it. It's been saved and stored in some computer or backup somewhere.

This online fraud and criminal bull%$%$%$%$ is wrong.
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:22 AM   #5
fishsmith
DDG-51

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post
Why would you EVER tell anyone when your not going to be home.
Bingo!! I was on there for a bit and dumped it. can't help but think this place is paradise for a criminal.
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:54 PM   #6
Joe

Google has done pretty well providing searches for free and selling ads. In my experience, the most dangerous person to give your credit card to is a waitress from Eastern Europe who works on Block Island during the summer. Later on, that very same night, she sends the data back to her associates in the Ukraine. I can understand why she would do it, it makes much more sense than coming halfway around the world for tips and getting her butt grabbed by drunken boaters. People guard their data and get all paranoid, but don't think twice about handing it to woman that a BCI can't be done on who takes their card and disappears for ten minutes.

Last edited by Joe; 08-09-2010 at 12:00 AM..
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:21 AM   #7
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post
When I joined facebook a long time ago it was because my wife was already on there and my kid was signing up. I saw what people were saying that were her friends and frankly it scared the crap out of me. Why would you EVER tell anyone when your not going to be home. That runs along the lines of your kid not telling strangers that they're home alone or a babysitter.

Then when I really started doing research of how this company can stay in business and have a business model where they don't charge the customer or derive the income off a user, only advertisers...I perked up and read more. Everyone needs to understand that they are mining the information on the site and are deriving income from advertising based on the information they know about you. Big brother and many more are watching. Very scary. So set you profile private. Big deal they still got alllll your information stored in a database. They also have your ip address, your computer address, etc etc. ONE halfway decent hacker is going in there one day and is going to infect tens of millions of people with a virus...or steal the database.

Yes I've heard people say put false information in there...well then why are you there in the first place if I can't look you up with your own name

I dumped facebook. Unfortunately they still got my information. I guarantee they did not delete it. It's been saved and stored in some computer or backup somewhere.

This online fraud and criminal bull%$%$%$%$ is wrong.
every site does the same thing, it's easy to read your browser cache. safest way to protect yourself is to not plug in your computer
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:28 AM   #8
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
safest way to protect yourself is to not plug in your computer
Had a computer tech teacher tell me that .....the safest way to have security...

is to get on the computer do what you need to do and then shut it off....

at the time i used to think he was just kinda paranoid
but in reality he was right on the money
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote