Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 08-15-2006, 07:24 PM   #1
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

Coyote

I was out pulling crabgrass and I saw something move in the corner of my eye I was a 90 pound Coyote and it walked by 20 feet from me. it was 3pm
I think this could be a big problem, should I call animal control?

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:28 PM   #2
Goose

90#??? thats big moe foe. wouldn't hurt, keeps your pets inside and tell your neighbors too
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:51 PM   #3
Skitterpop

Rent a sheep costume and see what happens next time

Good health and family
Skitterpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:05 AM   #4
stiff tip

kill it
stiff tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:06 AM   #5
Raven

thats way to close.... people have been attacked.... normally you'd never even see them...so somethings up...with that one....either
it's rabid...or somehow lost its fear of man...something. Is there a food source anywhere near by...as in un eaten dry dog food .... rib bones tossed into the woods or anything similar?
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:37 AM   #6
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

I don't have any idea but I am going out into the woods this morning to dump some barrels so I am going to look around. it looked really healthy a nice coat and shinny. I was kinda wondering myself why it was around during the day.

Don't judge me Monkey

Old 08-16-2006, 06:52 AM   #7
Surfcastinglife

i'll find him for three, but i'll catch him, and kill him for ten!
Surfcastinglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:16 AM   #8
Skitterpop

Bob,

What Raven said is good advice. Coyotes are not only nocturnal wanderers or hunters so the daytime thing is the norm for them.

He might have heard you pulling the crab grass and thought you were an animal he could eat then was suprised to see a human.... were you down on your hands and knees?

90 lbs would be highly unusual... exceptionally big ones, which are rare in this populated region, can go 60 - 75 lbs but most full grown ones will average around 45 lbs.

Be careful

Last edited by Skitterpop; 08-16-2006 at 08:51 AM..

Good health and family
Old 08-16-2006, 08:33 AM   #9
MakoMike

Are you sure it was a 'yote? 90 pounds is exceptionally large for one. Even the big males only rarely exceed 50-60 pounds.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:49 AM   #10
choggieman

when they have their full coat they always look bigger than they are. chances are it has become accustomed to hunting in peoples back yards for cats and small dogs, which they love to snack on. They are getting more and more brazen as we develop more woodlands and they increase in population. Shoot the bastidge!
choggieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:06 AM   #11
Raven

nah nah nah

the california coyote is much smaller....
and they still run 60 pounds and up..

my solid smaller queensland blue healer
a running dog so fast she outruns everything
and is related to the wild dingo....down under
also known as a "cattle dog" is half their
size and she weighs close to 60 pounds.

the one i saw in my back yard was as tall as
a german shepard so there may be some
in- breeding with the wolves or domestic dogs
that have gone wild...somewhere...
because these specimens are quite large.

sign is easy to find...they crap on top of rocks.
i've climbed rocks that were like... pillar shaped
and found coyote dung up on top of them.

Last edited by Raven; 08-16-2006 at 09:17 AM..
Old 08-16-2006, 09:24 AM   #12
Raven

Arrow most coyotes

are targeting cats that are so tuned in
to watching a mouse or near-by bird
they hope to catch....and pounce on...
with a quivering tail...giving away their position
that they don't see them
coming .......until its to late...

so, if you don't see any rabbits...
thats a tell tale sign.
i'm on 1000 acres and never see rabbits
they've been eaten by either coyotes
or fisher cats ....who also prey apon
domestic cats and chase them right up
a tree.... and then eat them.

Last edited by Raven; 08-16-2006 at 02:27 PM..
Old 08-16-2006, 09:48 AM   #13
Karl F

If it is a full blooded 'yote, it won't go anymore than 60#
If it is a Coy-dog, it will go bigger, depending on the breed it mixed up with.
My property borders Nickerson Statepark on one side, and a landlocked area between me and the park on the other. Have gotten to know our area's 'yotes patterns well, as I have walked all the fire roads for years. Healthy they are, and not as nocturnal as peole think, just real stealthy. Bold is the word, for behaviour, especially once they know the habits of the neighborhood.
The local Alpha, nice full coat, he looks like he might go 90#, but I am guessing it is just the way he carrys himself, and his full healthy coat, I have seen him fairly close, and realize he probably goes no more than 60#. they are wiry and all muscle under that fluffy jacket they wear.Bob, I am guessing, but, I think he was just curious, as to WTH you were doing.
If he walked away calmly, I doubt he was rabid, he would have been in your face, or some other part of your anatomy.

BBJ & I last year, out at the Race, we had a couple 'yotes go by us within petting distance. Stealthy and Bold.. if you fish sand eels do not leave your bag swingin from your sand spike.. .. I witnessed a guy come unglued more than once over what happens.. the funniest was the guy who while rebaiting, actually touched the 'yotes snout as he was reaching back into the bag.. he screamed like a little girl and ran damn near a mile down the beach.. can't say as I blame him, but he should have known better. 'yote didn't snap at him, or chase him, just kept after the sand eels till they were gone.
Fox too, on the cape, and the beaches.. years ago, bunch of guys fishing camper alley down at Nauset. Slow night and some booze was being drank. they started a card game in the camper, one guy left his rod baited and out... tide going out.. well, after a while they hear drag, a lot of it, they go out and he starts reeling.. one of them notices it is dead low tide.. they shine a light on the line.. it is headed up to the dune line... guy is reeling in a small fox with a high low sand eel rig in is jaw!
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:55 AM   #14
vineyardblues

one was in my back yard a few years ago, i live behind the police station. I called them and all they said was really !!!!
They said they will not do anything but I should try the dog officer.
Call them , no answer ...hung up
VB
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:32 AM   #15
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

When I said 90 pound I was just guessing I have no idea what dogs weigh I never owned one, so if it was 60 75 or what ever I was sure it was the size of an aerdale german shepard. dogs do tend to weigh more than a wild coyote seeing they are very well fed.
I did lose a cat 2 yrs ago mid July found her eaten in the woods, my daughter didn't take it to well either. I have noticed my 2 cats have been really jumpy the last week. I don't think me killing it is an option seeing I own no guns and I don't want to posion a cat or dog. PLus we have 3 hawks living in our trees. we also have fox, deer, raccoons, wild turkey and probably skunks, the rabbits have slowly diappeared, but I have never seen one. I am just going to keep my eyes open and tell my neighbors the rabbits have slowly diappeared

Don't judge me Monkey

Old 08-16-2006, 11:48 AM   #16
Skitterpop

according to some research:

I`ve been reading more and there is quite a bit of mixed info. so I edited this post.

Last edited by Skitterpop; 08-16-2006 at 08:55 PM..

Good health and family
Old 08-16-2006, 02:23 PM   #17
Raven

ya'll better read

the what is it ....thread
from maine....
Old 08-16-2006, 04:41 PM   #18
Skitterpop

Read ir but could`nt see photo?

Why would wildlife officials decline to go see it?

I`m from Missouri

Good health and family
Old 08-16-2006, 05:01 PM   #19
Backbeach Jake

THere are some larger coyotes out at the End of the Cape. The Chief of Police in Wellfleet did a study and determined that they are grey wolf mixes. Coyotes aren't native to NE, Grey Wolves are. If they'd mixed with coyotes, that would explain their habits and size. Either way I wouldn't trust them. The night that KarlF spoke of, they were running all around us eating carcasses left behind. Bold wasn't the word. Could have easily touched one. I've seen them try to steal bait at high noon, and Then get yelled at for not having my dog leashed when I followed it.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:54 PM   #20
Skitterpop

Interesting.... I`ve read hugely varying information on these critters.

A wolf hybrid many hundreds of years old, moved to NE 200 years ago, moved to NE in the 30s and 40s.....native but killed off now back, not native..... whatever the truth may be they are WILY for sure....

Good health and family
Old 08-16-2006, 06:12 PM   #21
Flaptail

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiff tip
kill it
What Stiffy said, lost another cat a month ago to one in the yard and a week ago our remaining cat was a second away from being taken but my daughter just happened to go to the door to call the cat in and scared the yot as it was sneaking up behind the cat ten feet from our back door. Kill em' all.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:19 PM   #22
gone fishin

Bob - you know where I am located. We have a yote hanging around my back yard. I have seen him from time to time. Neighbors behind me had a housefull of cats and are now down to one. I am guessing he got them. One night there was an awful bloodcurdling screech and next day another cat was missing. There are plenty of them aroung our area. Especially around the Burl. Res.

Speaking of fox's - i was into blues at Hatches habah last year and with them coming fast. I threw them on the sand behind me. After taking one off the jig, I couldn't find the fish I had previously caught. I chucked the one freshly caught into the same area and watched from the surf. The fox appeared out of the dune and grabbed the fish. He dragged it into the dunes so fast it was amazing. He was watching every move I made.

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:24 AM   #23
fishdump

There is a pack that roams the river corridor behind my house and we used to have them all the time at my folks house in the Berkshires. Like Stiff said Kill it. If you don't have a gun find some one that does. They are very brazen animals and they just don't kill to eat. They will kill just to kill. Since snaring and trapping has been outlawed in a lot of places people don't hunt them like they used to because they don't get what they used to for the pelts and the popualtions are taking off and their habitat is being taken over by development. They are very smart animals and because a lot of people have daily routines, especially when it comes to pets, ie let them out at 6 am to do there business, let them out at 4-5 pm you you get home from work, and then again at 9-10pm before bed the coyotes will start patterning and you will start seeing them show up on the edge or your property around these times. Watch cats, small dogs and even small children. -James
fishdump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:50 AM   #24
baldwin

He might be good on the barbecue.
baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:26 AM   #25
stripersnipr

For years now I've been watching Coyotes trotting across my lawn almost eveyday around dusk. They look at me, I look at them, and they keep going. To tell you the truth I'm more comfortable with them then I would be a strange dog in my yard.
stripersnipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:27 AM   #26
Saltheart

Cannot understand why you are prohibited from shooting the ones who get too close to humans. Its one thing to stop trapping but to stop people from defending their kids and pets in their own backyard is just stupid. STUPID!!!

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 11:15 AM   #27
MakoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart
Cannot understand why you are prohibited from shooting the ones who get too close to humans. Its one thing to stop trapping but to stop people from defending their kids and pets in their own backyard is just stupid. STUPID!!!
Most Places it is no prohibited, unless you are referring to local aordinaces against discharging a firearm in general. NY is the only state that I know of that treats them like game animals.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:09 AM   #28
Young Salt
Salt of the Earth

I know ways to get rid of coyotes.....

one way involves painting a railroad on the side of a mountain - a brick wall will work, as mountiains can be hard to come by on the cape.

another way you'll need a 10,00 lb anvil and a steep cliff....a large red bullseye painted below helps with accuracy.

the last way involves the use of ACME exploding bird seed, which is all but impossible to get in MA in this post 9-11 world.
Young Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:02 AM   #29
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Salt
I know ways to get rid of coyotes.....

one way involves painting a railroad on the side of a mountain - a brick wall will work, as mountiains can be hard to come by on the cape.

another way you'll need a 10,00 lb anvil and a steep cliff....a large red bullseye painted below helps with accuracy.

the last way involves the use of ACME exploding bird seed, which is all but impossible to get in MA in this post 9-11 world.
LMAO

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:08 AM   #30
maddog2020

Fishers love porcupines in the winter.

Coyotes are everywhere now. Virtually impossible to make them go away. Killing every one you see just leaves more food for the others. Animals in nature have their own balance. Problem is we as humans are scared of things we don't understand.

Many of my neighbors have lost their cats - simple solution: keep the cats inside. We have two house cats: though if the yotes at them I couldn't care less ..... lol (they are my wife's cats). Any pet left outside on a run/chain will become food to a hungry coyote. One of my neighbors (animal lover - she watches our cats when we are on vacation) was feeding coyotes out of her window few winters ago: her cat was batting the coyote for the ham ..... LOL).

I see them crossing busy roads in the middle of the day out around where I live (Framingham area). Unforunately the homes are too close to each other and I can't legally discharge a fire arm. I would shoot them as well at first chance, but they aren't stupid animals. If you don't hit it on the first shot chances are it isn't going to stand there for another. .22 LR HP will work then again any deer rifle or shotgun w/ larger shot will do.

Coyotes will be always be there. Like others have said: close up the trash, keep pets inside or watch them close when they are outside. Infants I wouldn't leave alone. Doesn't matter if you are on the edge of the woods or an urban area the coyotes ARE there.

I've read journal papers from back in the 1920s thru the 80s regarding coyote control plans (F&W service, Foresty Service, DEM) = guess what?! Nothing works. Higher the density of coyotes the greater the competion for food so the litters of young are smaller. They control their own densities. Poison baits are a bad idea!

I'm not just flapping - I have a degree in Wildlife Biology. If any one wants some shot (pests in general) send me a pm. As long as you are legal distance from a road and supply me some pizza & diet Coke, I'm happy.

Ray 'md2020'
maddog2020 is offline   Reply With Quote