Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 08-04-2003, 12:46 PM   #1
Saltheart

Madeira thread

just finished a rod using Madeira metallic thread. Stuff is nice. Makes a beautiful underwrap cause its thinner than Gudebrod A.

I didn't have any problem with the finish. I used UD 40 LS Supreme. Some have said they had a problem , that's why I mentioned it. results were nice and smooth as expected.

I got a few colors already and plan on getting a spool of all the popular colors. can't use for overwraps but for crosswraps and underwraps the stuff is very nice to work with. There purple , red and cobalt blue are very vivid and there are several gold tones to choose from.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 08:42 PM   #2
Goose

gotta pic? Thanks
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 05:12 PM   #3
Saltheart

purple is Madeira. Note the single red thread running through this double diamond /chevron pattern.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	daffy.gif
Views:	281
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	4423  

Last edited by Saltheart; 08-05-2003 at 11:22 PM..

Saltheart
Old 08-05-2003, 05:13 PM   #4
Saltheart

same
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	danny purpredgold.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	4424  

Saltheart
Old 08-05-2003, 08:07 PM   #5
bud8fan

Sweeeeeet!!

Mike,
Looks like some nice stuff! I have a bunch of Superior thread that I havent tried yet. Have you used it before? Does it compare to the Madeira?
I picked up a bunch different blue metallics and will probably try them out on my 1088 that is on the bench.

Russ
bud8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 11:21 PM   #6
Saltheart

Nope , haven't tried superior. Got tons of gudebrod to use up. As I buy more , I hope to give other threads a try. it would be hard to beat this madeira. Its nice and fine and lays down smooth without twisting or the metallic peeling off in spots like the gudebrod. Sometimes i get so pissed at the gudebrod with all the bad spots in a spool.

Al Goldberg says you really should use color preserver with the madeira. he says that i was lucky this time. Another time you may get fisheyes with the madeira if you don't use the color preserver.

I'm going to be doing one in Cobalt blue soon. Not a fancy rod , just blue underwraps on the guides. Its a really nice blue color.

Saltheart
Old 08-06-2003, 01:41 PM   #7
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

My lovely bride is reading this over my shoulder---she says to tell you that Madeira make just about the best embroidery thread there is.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 03:10 PM   #8
Saltheart

The Purple caught my eye at the rodbuilders seminar in january. Its much more vivid than the most purple Gudebrod. As I sadi , the cobalt blue is also excellent and the red is a very rich color too. I also got a copper color that is nice alone but can't decide what other colors it would go good with.

Saltheart
Old 08-06-2003, 05:56 PM   #9
Goose

Would it be possible to have the purple in the chevron or did you just choose not to. I personely haven't done much work with A's or thinner and find it difficult. I find that when apply metlic's I hold the spool and use two fingers(thumb &middle finger)...easyer to work with.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 08:09 PM   #10
Billy 40

The Superior that MikeCC sells is very, very similar to Madiera. I have a couple of spools I tinkered with a bit, haven't finished any rods lately, but I do have a Cranberry Underwrap sitting in my drying box waiting to get a coating of epoxy. Get both, they have different colors.

More Colors = more fun!!
Billy 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 11:04 AM   #11
Saltheart

Sure , the chevron could have been purple. What would I have used for the background color though?

Thin thread makes nicer crosswraps but you need to lay down more strands which takes longer. The Madeira is very thin.

Saltheart