Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 06-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Lyme disease, low BP, dehydration

I posted in Grumpy forum about how BP meds suck. Mine were slightly overprescribe. Prior to meds 160/100, after 107/70. Very frieking tired, bone and muscle ache. Started the meds around 6-18. low BP as you can imagine makes you feel very tired, and Ramipril has as a side effect tired muscles and bone ache, which masked all the following:

So getting house ready for big party last weekend I started feeling worse. Those days were in the nineties. Wife says I'm a wuss. Late saturday start feelin a little feverish., Sunday about the same. Had to take in-laws to Green to get back to west coast. He drove down I drove back. Walked back in the house and opok my temp. It was 101. 20 minutes later it was 102.5. I'm am now in bed. Finally work up te strenght to go to urgent care at harbor medical. Left there shortly after in an ambulance. Doctor at Har. Med. say you probably have picked a parasite or have lyme disease.

ER at South Shore gave me bags of fluid, AND A SCRIPT FOR DOCYCLINE, WONDERFUL.

Hav to wait for about five days to get test back. But at least they are treating me in the meantime.

I actually slept last night for the first time since I woke up monday morning.

The dehydration was so bad it actually cause my body's nerve endings, when my tempt when up or down a few times, to (my description here) convulse all over the place. I was shaking so bad the other night that in my state I thought it was the chillsin retrospect I was actulaay hot, so I pulled the electric blanket up, comfortor, and when that didn't stop the shaking I managed to hit the electric blanket button. I don't remember anything after that for awhile. Last night the temp spiked at 103.5. Smartly I drank a bunch of water, did not cover up, because as I now know you do not want to keep the temp in you want it to go away.

Last edited by Swimmer; 06-28-2012 at 01:50 PM..

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Wow - hope that everything comes back fine, Frank.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
BMEUPSCOTTY

Wow Frank, that sucks... Hang in there, get better soon...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
BMEUPSCOTTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
Rockfish9

sounds like you need a cool dip in the salt.... get well quickly!

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
Canalman
Calling Jon The Fisherman

Sounds like my last 6 days and I have Lyme Disease--right down to the exact same temps... keep on that Doxy, you'll be feeling better pretty fast. I never give in to being sick, but that Lyme disease kicked my ass. I had three episodes of that crazy shivering (once on a long walk back from fishing in my wetsuit--yeah, I should have known better). I had the dead giveaway rash though on my shoulder. The only difference is the BP, but who knows.

Feel better man.

Surf Asylum Lures, Custom Lures for the "Committed"
Official S-B Sponsor
Canalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

One docter at my primary's office who treated me was very curious about a possible parasite that can be fairly common from the canal on down the cape. The wife was so stressed out this morning she was getting sympathy pains, so I got my ass up and went down stairs. Dave where do you think you were bitten by the tick? On the canal or somewhere else?

I actually took my temp. a few minutes ago and it was below 100. Good news. My pee is clearing up, so the doxy must start working pretty fast.

This may have started quite sometime ago and its just rearing its ugly friggin head. I was pissing blood for nine days and it stopped. Got to the doctor then for a checkup and basically found nothing in the blood test to indicate an infection, I receive appropriate folow-up referrals with Urologist, but at about the same time my neck started aching(which I thought was from getting into the tacoma as opposed to the ranger, and I never said anything. I thought I strained the muscles then and just took some asp. occassionally to help out. But that may infer an infection of sorts. So BP meds were indicated during that time. My primary was away, but the covering physician gave me fluid pill to start with. This may have help my dehydration get as bad as it did during the hot weather.

So anyway I go to the CDC site today and found the three parasites that that ER doctor ordered tests, plus the Lyme disease test, for and I find on that fits the bill for all of my symtoms. And the prior bleeding is part of the parasitic diseases presentation. The doxycycline seems to be beating the problem down at least for now, which may make my assumption wrong. The parasite I think I have says it has to be treated with something else.

Last edited by Swimmer; 06-29-2012 at 07:06 PM..

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 06-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Oh man that stinks, Swimmer.
It always amazes me how these dieases and tiny virus can make you
feel so sick. Hope you feel better soon.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #8
Canalman
Calling Jon The Fisherman

I could have gotten the tick at the Canal or anywhere else I've been. It's really hard to say. My yard is infested with the friggin things, my neighbor was diagnosed with Lyme like 12 days before I was! I was at the Canal a lot over the past month (naturally) not because the fishing was good I just like to practice casting on the off tides. Hope you feel better man. I felt a lot better after 4 doses of Doxy.

Surf Asylum Lures, Custom Lures for the "Committed"
Official S-B Sponsor
Canalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canalman View Post
I could have gotten the tick at the Canal or anywhere else I've been. It's really hard to say. My yard is infested with the friggin things, my neighbor was diagnosed with Lyme like 12 days before I was! I was at the Canal a lot over the past month (naturally) not because the fishing was good I just like to practice casting on the off tides. Hope you feel better man. I felt a lot better after 4 doses of Doxy.

There is a fertilizer that you can spread on your lawn that will get rid of them for the summer. I'll think hard and come up with it. It is common like LIQUID 7, which may do the same thing, but the one name I am trying to come up with escapes me. Thanks Dave.

DIAZINON is the fert.

Last edited by Swimmer; 06-29-2012 at 07:07 PM..

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA