Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-27-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
Mr. Sandman

Cedar plug lead mold

I want to make my own cedar plugs (for trolling)...has anyone ever seen a lead-head mold for this ?

Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 01-27-2010 at 08:24 AM..
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:17 AM   #2
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Jim,
When I was spinning more wood than I am now, I thought about it and looked around... never found one. I was going to make one out of plaster just for a few pours but never got around to it...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:32 AM   #3
Mr. Sandman

I was thinking of taking an egg sinker and cutting it in half but it is not exactly what I was looking for or taking a trolling sinker and drilling out the center, that might be a closer match.

I would rather have an aluminum mold of the real thing
Old 01-27-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

yeah, but I'm broke Plaster is cheap.
I tried the egg sinker thing, and plug bodies I had turned needed more lead... probably should have drilled out the through hole and added some plug tail weights.... I was toying with a stubbier squid shape... good luck

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Jim if I had the time I would help you out but I got too much going on right now, as usual, and Slip is still waiting for a mold I promised him weeks ago. A blank do it mold is the easiest way to go but you still need to find someone to machine that long tapered end for you. Does the wood body fit down into the lead or does the lead go up inside the wood kind of like a tail wgt with an exposed tapered section or does the wood body just butt up against the lead? I am really not sure how that plug is assembled. If you can wait till spring I may be able to help you out but that is as good a time line as i can give you. There are a few other machinist's on this site so may be they will be able to help you out. Paul

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:14 PM   #6
Mr. Sandman

Paul,

cool! I am not in a rush or panic mode. Just another back burner idea. I'll touch base later in the spring. By then will take some photos and show you how it is assembled.