Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 07-30-2008, 11:40 AM   #1
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Angry Congressional recess--

These guys go on vacation with all the stuff our country is going through. pfft

On second thought maybe it's the best thing ,6 weeks they can't screw things up even more.

Remember when my company was in the doldrums's one year and vacations were cancelled .We worked 6 days a week without a raise that year.

No one got laid off either. Too old fashion, now a days people get cut first.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
FishermanTim

The only time they REALLY work is if there is an election year, there is an important piece of legislation (like congressional pay-raises), and it's been leaked to the media. Otherwise, they just say "screw it" and take their undeserving vacations. It NEVER ceases to amaze me that the state and national "powers that be" have the right to vote on their own pay raise, whereas the rest of the real world has to prove our worth each and avery day. What a setup!
How many of us would, in all due respect, leave for vacation knowing we didn't finish our work? Once again, what a beautiful setup!

I wish we had term limits for each and every political office, and would hold these individuals accountable/responsible for each and every one of their decisions, and a no-show for a vote would actually have some bearings on their future.

Of course, I then wake up and realize when and where I am, and I realize that we are pretty much screwed.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
striperman36
Old Guy

I am so glad they passed that law in MASS that it is now LEGAL to drink on a golf course. My goodness, it was such a crisis without that!

What happened to taking on the 'paid detail' crowd? How about tax overhaul? Oh yeah, it's vacation time.

I went thru town today, they had 6 policeman on 1 detail for a town project, we're getting fleeced, but, we can drink on the golf course now. Just don't head for your car after 18 at the 19th.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:48 PM   #4
Raven

politics = corruption

at our expence
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:08 AM   #5
saltfly

Personnally I will not vote for ANY incumbent with more than 2 terms.I'm totally fed up.
saltfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:16 AM   #6
Joe

Most congressman are millionaires - they're not doing for the paycheck, but rather for the opportunity to get some of the gravy or to structure favorable tax liabilities. You can draw a direct line from politician, to contributor, to recipients of government funds or contracts, to the drafting of favorable legislation.
Hitler used the concept of "The Big Lie," a lie so "colossal" that no one would believe that someone "could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously".

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:50 AM   #7
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
On second thought maybe it's the best thing ,6 weeks they can't screw things up even more.
To roughly quote Mark Twain: "No man's pocketbook is safe while Congress is in session".

It's even more relevant 100 years later.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote