Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 03-06-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
blondterror

Wooden version of Smack-it popper

Brian O'Connor " Mayor of Crane's beach fishing (self proclaimed, but a great guy) introduced me to the Smack It made by Stillwater lures 3 yrs ago. see his incredible web site just updated for 2009

http://www.brianmoc.com/

So after having great results with the plastic Smack-It that has an amazing rattle and throws a lot of water as you pop it on the surface (plus it casts so well due to the sliding rattle/weight) I decided to make my own version with 5 mm stainless steel BBs and a similiar profile. I have never cracked open a smack it to see what the rattle is but I think it is a ~15mm plastic ball

I have made about 6 of these wooden smack its and they have been incredible for surface action.

The secret of making these is to drill out the front section with a 5/8 fortsner bit then add your BBs or round lead balls and then to glue in a hardwood "dowel" with good waterproof glue (titebond 3). Then turn the body to mirror a 5 1/2 inch smack it. I like to flatten the rear section (canal style) and eyes are optional. The depth of the initial drilling is about 3/4" past the belly hook position. Then the dowl plug fills in to just in front of the belly hook. So the center of the plug is hollow and this is where the BBs move around - I put in about 10 stainless steel beads. We use them as milling beads in biological labs to make tissue lysates prior to isolating DNA or RNA.

Here are 3 examples I made last year - sorry for the bluefish scars. These were made before I moved to e-tex coating.

The plastic Smack it is on the far right.

FUN lure to make and it fishes "really well". My friends including Brian love them but Brian is afraid to use his much because he does not want to lose it...

chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3060008.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	32405   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3060009.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	32406   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3060011.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	32407  

Blond Terror
blondterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
Rockfishroger

Smack-its are one of my fav TW plugs.Looks great.

Last edited by Rockfishroger; 03-06-2009 at 02:31 PM..
Rockfishroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
Raven

Arrow

take a Smack- it and drill a small hole in the top

and squirt in some 20 year silicon ...just enough

so you end up with a sealed hole and a smack-it that "thuds"

instead of "clack's" for certain times when they are short strikin it..

it makes a huge difference...
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote