Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 12-28-2006, 06:17 PM   #1
Flaptail

Unhappy help

I would have put this in the computer section but no one seems to go there much. So......my daughter's Gateway laptop got crunched ( dorm incident, unmade bed, flop down and squash) anyway, the screen snapped off and one of the keys got sucked into a black hole (aka the floor of her room). I need to get htis repaired or replaced before 1/15. Any ideas. No number for GATEWAY SERVICE in manual. Just on line help with functions.

Arghh! Just what I need to start the new year.

Thanks in advance, Flap.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:49 PM   #2
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Flap, gateway # 800-846-2000. If i remember rigth they had mine back wihtin 10 days. Hopefully some of the guys will have a better solution then sending back.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 03:48 PM   #3
fishonnelsons

The number I used was 800 369 1409, press for technical support. I sent it out UPS Friday noon to Texas and got it back Tues afternoon, unbelievable. Hope it's under warranty, make sure you get the serial number before the phone call. Also, if you do send it, back-up everything if you can, and ensure you have the disk's for all the various programs because, for the most part, it's empty when you get it back. Good Luck!
fishonnelsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:43 PM   #4
MrHunters
What was that!?!

if the screen is no good.... thats gonna cost big bucks...

even more than a replacement laptop unless you have a bumper to bumper service contract.
MrHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:54 PM   #5
Slipknot
Super Moderator

OUCH, sorry to hear that Steve, I got no info for ya. Good luck with them warrantying it. I bet that happens a lot.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:55 PM   #6
Bass Babe
Registered LUser

If it's more expensive to repair than to buy a new one, perhaps consider a desktop. Not many people flop down onto their desks. They're also more easily serviced (i.e. self service). When one part goes wrong, you can usually just replace the one part instead of the whole machine.

Also, if it can't be fixed or is too expensive, if it has important things on it, like tons of music or term papers or what have you, call a computer tech who can recover the data. There is most likely nothing wrong with the hard drive.

Good luck, I hope it's a cheap and easy fix!

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working. ...Wait a minute, my work IS fishing. Sweet.
Bass Babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 04:19 PM   #7
vanstaal
woody

I think it might be easer for them to copy the entire laptop on to a new puter I think ??

You can go anywhere you want if you look serious and carry a
Clipboard.
vanstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 06:13 PM   #8
Katie
Scuttlebutt

Send a message via AIM to Katie Send a message via MSN to Katie Send a message via Skype™ to Katie
Bass Babe has a good point, if the harddrive isn't ruined then it might be better to get a replacement unit, and switch the harddrives. I rebuild laptops all the time in school, to the point i can do it with my eyes shut, but this happens a lot more then you would think. Long as the harddrive is unharmed, then theres nothing to fear that you lost anything.

Good Luck!

Wasajigifying -[ was - a - jig-i-fy-ing] - the concept of not knowing what the hell your saying.

My Photography Page!
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:22 PM   #9
crash
Professional dumba$$

The kit to connect a laptop drive to a desktop is under $10 at compusa if it comes to that. Data is the most important part of a PC.
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:30 AM   #10
labrax

In my experience they will not cover lcd screen damage if it caused by neglect/misuse. I believe that Compaq's policy for out of warranty service is $275 and for that they will replace 3 defective parts (motherboard, hard drive, etc.) - unless no-fault warranty coverage then they will cover the lcd screen. May want to check online for computer parts - used computer parts places, or Craigslist or Ebay for one that has a good screen and junk hard drive, motherboard, etc. If you can put back together a ABU conventional reel - you can replace a screen on a laptop.

You can buy a USB2.0 external hardrive shell for 2.5" drives from NewEgg.com ($10 - $15) or other online or brick and mortar computer electronics store and if careful you should be able to remove the hard drive on the unit and put it in the enclosure and connect it to a working machine to access the data - remove the data for backup. No real need to have someone charge you extra $$ to do that service. If the laptop is under warranty - give it a shot, but don't hold your breath. Sometimes it is best to be less than forthcoming about what caused the issue - sad but true. Plausible deniability is not just for politicians.

If the machine is out of warranty and 3 years old or so, think about getting a new one for her. The cost to repair probably is not worth it. TigerDirect, Buy.com, eCost.com, NewEgg.com all sell fairly cheap reconditioned or factory reconditioned machines and sometimes new units for decent prices. I would rather buy new, but there are enough machines that come DOA that have a bad piece of hardware that they can easily replace and sell and offer some warranty on - but they cannot resell as 'new' that it might be an alternative.

If you do not have office software - look to OpenOffice.org - just as good as MS office sans the email program (compatible too), get AVAST anti-virus and ZoneAlarm freeware firewall, and you will be well on your way without the software costs normally associated with setting up a new PC.

Good luck,

Pete
labrax is offline   Reply With Quote