Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 03-04-2004, 01:40 PM   #1
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Question Prime, Paint and Sealer Questions!

Did the "Search" thing but that just gave me more questions! I am getting into the "painting the plug" portion of plugbuilding now and I have a few questions.

1. What type of primer do you all use and how do you apply it?

2. I looked at the createx paints at Michaels and I have a couple questions like, "what is the difference between transparent and opaque?" I know opaque is bright and vibrant but what is transparent?

3. Air Brush equipment.....looked at a bunch, Badger, Anthem, ones that require an expellent ones that require a small compressor.....what do you guys prefer???

4. How do you apply the envirotex?? Dip it, brush it??? And I know some of you guys have a rotissere setup for turning your plugs so the envirotex does not sag....where I am a newbie and do not yet have a rotissere any other easy way to dry it without the sags???

5. Do you prefer the transparent, opaque or pearl colors or do you use all of them??? Which are best?? I know you all like the pearl colors, do you use these more???

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks guys.

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 03:02 PM   #2
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Post painting with createx

Big Fish
I know all the experts here will answer your questions but i had some info i got by calling createx on their paints. The acrylics dry in a few hours if you need to recoat. You can use a hair dryer to speed the process to recoat in several minutes[needs to be dry to touch]
No need to sand between coats.
You can spray the plug different colors ,ex. top and bottom,without waiting for the first color to dry.
Hope this helps.
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 03:48 PM   #3
ChrisH

Big Fish:

1. If you seal your plugs try Minwax wood hardener, it is potent stuff don't get it on your skin.

2. I use Binz to prime, usually 2 coats, it has worked well for me.

3. I use opaque and pearl colors mostly.

4. I use an Iwata Eclipse (BCS) with a Phantom 100 Mini Compressor from Createx, try to stay away from using a propellent can, it won't last long and is exspensive.

5. After painting I use Minwax Ploycrylic to safegaurd my paint job. After it has dried overnight I use a Scotchbrite pad to scuff the surface. Then use alcohol to clean all the surfaces i.e. plug, mixing cups and acid brush. I then apply the envirotex with an acid brush, I use the flip method similar to Newell Guy.

6. Good luck and have fun, remember if you screw up a paint job you can always re-do it.

Chris
ChrisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 11:20 PM   #4
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Thanks guys for your help.....anyone else wanna give a few tips to help a brotha out?

Old 03-04-2004, 11:31 PM   #5
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I've been making plugs for only 3 years now and I have been using spray paint from a can. I prime the plugs with a cheap chip brush with bin zinseer in the blue can. I have never used envirotex so can't help you there either.

Start slow and find the way you are most comfortable with. Ya learn as you go.
Before long you could be making plugs like capesams and chumbucket.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 11:34 PM   #6
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I could only hope....damn some of those plugs are simply incredible. Thanks for the help Slip......ahhhh....Slip....that has a nice ring to it.......I might have to name my first born plug after you if you keep helping me!

Slip...what do you use for the clear coat???

Old 03-04-2004, 11:47 PM   #7
Slipknot
Super Moderator

trade secret
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 05:02 AM   #8
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Copycat

Quote:
Originally posted by Slipknot
trade secret
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 09:59 PM   #9
Young Salt
Salt of the Earth

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisH
Big Fish:

5. After painting I use Minwax Ploycrylic to safegaurd my paint job. After it has dried overnight I use a Scotchbrite pad to scuff the surface. Then use alcohol to clean all the surfaces i.e. plug, mixing cups and acid brush. I then apply the envirotex with an acid brush, I use the flip method similar to Newell Guy.

Chris
What does the polycrylic do? Will it ruin the paint job if I skip it?
How often do you flip the plugs?
Do you use denatured alcohol? Rubbing alcohol? Booze? Will it work if I use Narragansett beer? Mmmmm...narragansett
Young Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 08:51 AM   #10
ChrisH

Young Salt,

The Polycrylic just protects my paint for when I add the hardware. Denatured and rubbing alcohol will work just fine, you have to take extra care to make sure that the surfaces are not contaminated. I would not use a "Gansett" on the plugs, it is more siuted to drinkin
ChrisH is offline   Reply With Quote