Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-12-2006, 09:38 PM   #1
striprman
Wishin' for fishin'

Who is Stan Kuzia ?

please elaborate.

striprman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:54 PM   #2
Flaptail

Smile

Stan is the last of the old Guard, a true living legend. He was a contemporary of Woolner, Laine, Whitney and Gibbs. He was the maker of the famous Ku-Jig(s) that any died in the wool Canal veteran knows and still owns a few. His eelskin rigs were talked of in secret and with reverence. He still actively fishes at 84 years of age and has forgotten more about Striper fishing than the collective members of this board know. He loves to fly fish now and has actually started making a few plugs again which he did with Stan Gibbs decades ago. He was there in the golden age and is still doing it. If we all could be as lucky. If you meet him make sure to listen very well, you just might learn something.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:54 PM   #3
PNG

He is the guy who told me I copied his plug he made 50 years ago

I have only met him once and that was at this weekends plugfest where he was with Angler#1.

I wish I had a quarter of their knowledge, I bet he has forgoten more about fishing than we will ever know
PNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:55 PM   #4
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

One of the best fishermen to ever cast a jig into the Canal.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:00 PM   #5
PNG

So why dont one of you guy's who is close to him bring him to the for front?

After watching him at the fest I came to the conclusion that this guy has a lot to say.

Someone said his age and I was impressed He looks great

PNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:06 PM   #6
striprman
Wishin' for fishin'

get him a 'puter and get him to post here.

striprman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:27 PM   #7
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Stan started fishing the canal in 1946 right after the war.. He told me how to cast to bass when they have whiting balled up . Like that happens anymore. That old guy will out cast you, His pendulum cast is perfection . He's old school hardcore fisherman , He's not on the internet , but everyone knows who he is . When I brought him, I prepared him, telling him it was all hardcore plug guys and he might be veiwed as somewhat of a celebrity where he built with Gibbs and his jiggs and so on . He just gave me a funny look . The one I like best is how Stan sums up Canal fishin . " In the Canal it ain't the wiggle ,its the bounce . " love that .. He really enjoyed the day with all you guys and seeing Flap and some other old and new friends..

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:41 PM   #8
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

I don't think you could get him to sit still long enough to punch a key...but catch him at his happy hang out and you'll get an ear full...talk about living history....couldn't get Karl to hang out here either...just shook his head no, so I didn't push the subject.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:02 PM   #9
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

yes indeed. pleasure to shake his hand and chat for a few moments.

thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:41 AM   #10
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Pleasure here also....if you enjoy this sport as most of us do...it was all about respect....he got mine! He has earned his stripes. (No pun intended)

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:13 AM   #11
Raven

Arrow maybe not internet SAVY

but if he likes to talk in familiar surroundings....someone should sit down with him and tape record what he has to say....

then that transcript can be typed into S_B.....it would be a real shame
for all that knowledge that he currently has to be lost...

he has as much facinating fishing knowledge than just plugs memorabilia.

memory is sorta like a pile of wet oak leaves ....can't see to the bottom of the pile but slowly but surely you can peel back layers exposing more and more leaves (memories)....underneath.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:42 AM   #12
Skitterpop

Met him twice

Once Angler #1 brought him to a breakfast at the Chicken Ranch....didn`t get to talk much then but just knew he was someone special. Didn`t have a clue by his name.

Later that same year I`m hiking back from the mouth of an estuary and see him light tackle spinning with Fin S in the channel. I said ... excuse me but aren`t you Stan.... he lit up and and like many in that age stage a wealth of knowledge poured out.

This guy is in his eighties and he had hiked down (not easy walking in the sand and rocks) and was quietly casting. One of the things he told me (I mentioned Steve Shiraka because I`ve read Flap speaking of him) and he lit up again.... was that Steve was the best fly fisherman he had ever seen... in his long life, considering who he was and who he had known and fished with, I thought this was quite a statement.

What an amazing person Stan is. I was mesmerized and touched more than I could understand.

I met some kings, princes, and famous people through one job I did years ago and meeting Stan was my highlight.

Tagger is someone who knows a lot more about Stan and really clicks with him.

Good health and family
Skitterpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:39 PM   #13
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Stans real tight with Angler #1 ,, I was introduced to Stan on a beach years ago and he gave me a casting lesson . That was the end of it.. Years later I'm sending Carl plugs and he happens to get a box one night while Stan is at his house .. (They play cribbage one night a week ) Next thing I know Stan wants to meet me again . Take it from there.. He's great . A living legend. Salt air surrounds him all the time.. Him and Carl together make me feel like a teenager .. I really appreciate, respect , admire these elders.. The Holy Grail ..

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 02-13-2006, 04:46 PM   #14
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Question

Tagger, was he the thin white haired gentleman with the mustache?

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:17 PM   #15
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

No mustache...

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 02-13-2006, 06:33 PM   #16
Flaptail

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagger
No mustache...
Not too thin either.

about 15 yearsago I was fishing the Old Harbor Creek in Sandwich ( this was in my other life as a strictly Saltwater Flyfisher, don't hold that against me) I bumped into Stanley and lamented the lack of bigger fish in the creek. He said "do you want to see the bigger fish"? Of course I replied in the positive and in a pinch he was off and I was in hot pursuit ( he in his late 60's then) across the marsh on the boardwalk. He stops and just jumps off onto the marsh, maybe six feet down. Pretty neat I thought for an "old Guy". I went right after him and follwed him along the bank until we came to a fairly large pool that was four feet deep at low tide, which it was. It was October and about ten in the morning. "Here he said, look down there". I did and almost passed out, there were 30 to forty 15 to 30 pound fish swimming around in the pool like an aquarium. He told me I wouldn't catch any while they were there but if I went back at night at a certain point in the tide at another place downcreek I could catch them and he was absolutely right.

I have had the pleasure to fish with him many times and had him at Monomoy several times and one day we both will never forget there.
One of the best and most knowledgable fisherman alive today as far as Cape Cod Stripers go. My most fond memory is of him watching me flyfishing Scorton one year the day after Thanksgiving when the shad were in the creek. I was on every cast and the hens were leaping like baby tarpon. He could not get into where I was but he stood on the bank high above me and rooted me on like a coach in the big game. He could see them from up above and he would yell out where to cast and place the fly. He said he really enjoyed just watching me. He also said some really kind things about my ability ( which has never been close to his and never will be)

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:38 PM   #17
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I was waiting for more Flaptail insight on Stan...thanks Flap!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:40 PM   #18
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit
Tagger, was he the thin white haired gentleman with the mustache?
no that was missing link

thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:51 PM   #19
Squid kids Dad

TFF...LOL..I was thinking the same...

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:52 PM   #20
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Somebody give Big Dave a shout ... They did alot together.. I was wondering where Dave was at plugfest.. posted he was going I thought ...

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 02-13-2006, 07:35 PM   #21
Slipknot
Super Moderator

This is the kind of thread that I love about this site
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:18 PM   #22
gone fishin

To those who know Stan well will attest to his absolutely smooth pendulum cast. He still shows at the ditch every day and checks the water and often casts a few. I have had many a conversation with Stanley and learn a little bit each time. At the age of 83 he still fishes conventional ansd can put a 4 or 6 ounce pencil damn near across the ditch. He no longer fishes the rocks, but on the right tide he has a couple of spots that he is a regular at.

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:35 AM   #23
Thom

what Raven said somebody should tape these guys if not for here but for the history of the Cape once these guys are gone there gone. I know I wished I had tape one of my Dad custmors he was a Baseball player in the Barnstorming era Knew all the greats that tape would be like gold now. THomT
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote