Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 08-25-2005, 07:49 PM   #1
RLC100
440 BB

Unhappy Labrynthitis

Just got diagnosed with this condition. Talk about being motionsick, this is the worst feeling of being dizzy I ever felt in my life. I had to go to the ER out of pure survival (got sick all over the place). Its been 3 days and still get bouts of dizzyness.
Anyone ever have this?
RLC100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 05:59 AM   #2
Backbeach Jake

Couple of years ago I had a bout of vertigo that took 2 weeks to be manageable. Woke up spinning one morning and puking from the dizziness. Couldn't even lay on the couch and watch TV. Every day got a little better until I could function and walk around, sucked big time. Take it easy, do what the Doc says, good luck.
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 07:23 AM   #3
sweetpea

Never had it myself, but have worked ER nursing for a decade now and have seen it many times. Most people say just what you are saying, the worst feeling in the world. Even the slightest movement of the head leads to severe dizziness and nausea. As the doctor probably explained, the center of equilibrium in the human body is located in the ear, and when it is inflamed that equilibrium is distorted. Usually treated with medications such as meclizine (anitvert) which helps control the dizziness but is not a cure. I hope your bout is short lived and that you are feeling better quickly.
sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 02:16 PM   #4
Jigman

Yep, I get boughts of that from time to time. Not much fun. Take it easy and it will pass. Sometimes it comes on pretty strong, other times, just minor.

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 07:58 AM   #5
RLC100
440 BB

Talking

Thx for the input, I'm doing pretty good now.Things are really clearing up
RLC100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 12:34 PM   #6
basswipe

That kind of sounds how I felt AFTER having meningitis.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 02:28 PM   #7
Raven

your thyroid gland controls your balance within the inner ear..

the thyroid gland malfunctions when your low on iodine.

eating kelp tablets to have adequate iodine in your system

helps to maintains your

thyroid gland health.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 02:03 PM   #8
outfished

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe
That kind of sounds how I felt AFTER having meningitis.
Hey Basswipe, I caught meningitis a few years back. Seriously the closet I've come to suicide. Sucked BIG time! How long did it take to shake it off?

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
outfished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 09:03 PM   #9
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by outfished
Hey Basswipe, I caught meningitis a few years back. Seriously the closet I've come to suicide. Sucked BIG time! How long did it take to shake it off?
I remember it like it was yesterday.It was the summer of 1983.

I was on vacation on the Cape.Felt sick the 1st day.Felt like dying the next day.After 4 spinal tap attempts I was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis and was isolated in a room for 10 days.I peaked at a balmy 107 temp had a headache that makes a migraine look mild and couldn't stop puking.I can remember being packed in ice.I can remember the only three people allowed in the room were my doctor,the shift nurse and my dad and they all had to wear masks,gloves and gowns.

It took close to six months to fully recover.The after affects can last a long time.Some affects can be permanent as some of mine were but that I won't get into.

It was a freakin nightmare come to life.

The few forms that adults can contract are usually viral and are more comparable to the flu.Some forms can even be vaccinated against.

Consider yourself lucky as far as not contracting one of the more severe types.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:37 PM   #10
outfished

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe

Consider yourself lucky as far as not contracting one of the more severe types.
Mine was in 1998 and I had just returned from deer hunting in Canada. Started with massive headache's, lost the use of my left eye (made me feel great seeing that I'm a photographer), partial paralysis of my left arm and hand, puking days on end just from the pain. Two spinals, two hours on a table for MRI's, a bizzilion blood test (I used to hate needles but compared to the pain it was a joke now), they finally narrowed it down to bacterial menengitis. Took me almost two years to finally shake it and still I swear some days when I'm way over extending myself (lack of sleep especially) I think I still can feel something not just right, like a very very mild headache in the same region as where the infection was. Doc's say it's phycosymatic. What a putz......

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
outfished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 03:47 PM   #11
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by outfished
Mine was in 1998 and I had just returned from deer hunting in Canada. Started with massive headache's, lost the use of my left eye (made me feel great seeing that I'm a photographer), partial paralysis of my left arm and hand, puking days on end just from the pain. Two spinals, two hours on a table for MRI's, a bizzilion blood test (I used to hate needles but compared to the pain it was a joke now), they finally narrowed it down to bacterial menengitis. Took me almost two years to finally shake it and still I swear some days when I'm way over extending myself (lack of sleep especially) I think I still can feel something not just right, like a very very mild headache in the same region as where the infection was. Doc's say it's phycosymatic. What a putz......

Nevermind YOU DID contract one of the more severe types.

I agree about needles.I used to be petrified of needles.After 4 taps getting blood taken is a minor inconvenience at worst!
Old 09-08-2005, 06:24 AM   #12
gldnbear93

RLC

My dad had laberynthitis really bad about ten years ago. It hit him while he was driving. He spent several days in the hospital and several more doing nothing at home before he could really even stand up straight. Every movement brought on a huge wave of dizzyness and nausea. He was on iv fluids for a few days also because he could not keep anything down. As I recall they also gave him some kind of medication to help reduce the nausea. It was a couple of months before he fully recovered. The doctors told him it could recur at any time, but it has not happenned again since.

Go Bears!
gldnbear93 is offline   Reply With Quote