Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 09-05-2004, 04:28 PM   #1
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

coyotes just

F#@*&( with the wrong pet owner....come the first snows their tracks to their dens will be the DEATH of them...this I promise...I will have my revenge

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 05:01 PM   #2
Backbeach Jake

I'll help ya. When they get inside the perimeter, time to toast 'em! Predators should have sense enough to eat wildlife. Otherwise ...curtains
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 09:19 PM   #3
Karl F

CS, everybody OK over there, I Hope?

Let me know when U go a hunting.... need some 'yote hair for tailhooks....
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 09:43 AM   #4
MAC

Let me know ifn ya need help. I have a few small items that fit in pockets. Or you could try the antifreeze thing. Just need to keep your pets away from it for a couple of days. The green stuff will do em in easy. mabee lure them to it with a rabbit from the pet store. I'll show ya how we lured them in when I was out west too in ya want. ( and no pets will be harmed) Just can't let your wife see the cat in the havahart trap, at least it will be safe though. Once the cat starts to meow the yotes will come running. Only hard part is getting the cat to co-operate with getting into the cage.
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 11:40 AM   #5
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Unhappy

Any injury to your pets CS?
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 12:46 PM   #6
capesams

my white cat of 11 years...I'm down to one now an he's walking around calling day an nite......this makes 9 cats an one dog now in this small nabahood....

BOAT fish do count.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:41 PM   #7
fishaholic18
Finally

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 01:57 PM   #8
fishweewee

Send a message via AIM to fishweewee
Cool

Steve,

Let me know if you continue to have problems with the local coyote population. We have unique ways of dealing with them.
fishweewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 05:16 PM   #9
capesams

do tell..or pm....the forest behind the house is lrg....nothing lives there anymore, but a few birds and them.

BOAT fish do count.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:21 PM   #10
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Angry

They are mean bastages,sorry about your cat.
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 06:04 PM   #11
capesams

Txs...

BOAT fish do count.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:32 PM   #12
fishweewee

Send a message via AIM to fishweewee
Lightbulb

As I am very partial to pets of the feline persuasion, I take every coyote attack personally.
fishweewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 08:00 PM   #13
Karl F

Unhappy

sorry about the boss cat, CS
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 09:58 AM   #14
Flaptail

Six years ago, on July 13th, my youngest daughter's birthday, she let her all white cat Rosie, out at 7:30 in the morning as usual. Rosie ran out and right in front of my daughter's eyes a coyote ran out of the bushes by the boatr and grabbed it. The cat never made a sound but my kid was screaming in horror. Kill 'em all. Last summer, while in my boat with Stifftip just outside of Stage Harbor we found one swimming from North Monomoy to Morris Island. I ran him over ( by accident of course).

Sorry to hear 'bout your kitty Steve. Been there. It $%#@*!!!

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 10:56 AM   #15
Surfcastinglife

was visiting a friend to see his new dog. 4 month old golden (at the time) so he was still little. he was showing me his paintball guns and we saw this coyote at the edge of the woods. tried shootin it but missed, 3 days later he called me back sayin he had let the dog out gone inside for a call and when he came back it was gone his leash was ripped and blood stained the grass KILL ALL THOSE *&^%$#@ they are good for nothing
Surfcastinglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 11:39 AM   #16
KLMulder
I fart in your general direction!!!

After living in Kansas for 4 1/2 years I probably know more about Coyote behavior than the EP does around here. The ONLY time they will come in after some ting is if the natural food supply is low OR you are leaving food outside ( dog and cat food is a big no no ). Some non lethal things you can try are, 1 pee around your property line ( not a big deal when I was in Kansas, the closest house was 3/4 of a mile away from mine ), 2 poop in there normal path typically along fence lines or hedge rows, this is a little harder to do but dog poop works well to. 3 vary your routine, they are on a schedule if you switch yours up you can screw there's up ( i hade one that would come down the hedge row every evening within 10 min of 6:30. They are cowards by nature and don't like you to see them. I would trap them from time to time when the market for hide's was up and would be happy to lend you a hand but i don't think leg hold traps are legal here. If you can shoot them the best way is find where they come by in there daily rounds and set up down wind, go get a rabbit squall ( like a duck call but make the sound a dyeing rabbit ) blow on it from 3 to 5 times very fast and wait a while, if they are around they will come to investigate, when you have a good shot whistle they will stop and look to see what it was and bang your dead my furry friend. one note about the whistle, if you miss for the rest of there life they will run like HE double hockey sticks every time they hear someone whistle.

KL

"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."

Go Yankee's
KLMulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 11:42 AM   #17
S-Journey

Quote:
Originally posted by Karl F
CS, everybody OK over there, I Hope?

Let me know when U go a hunting.... need some 'yote hair for tailhooks....
"'yote hair for tailhooks...."

Good idea, those rat f'ers might be good for something after all:-)
S-Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 11:46 AM   #18
maddog2020

Even if you were able to KILL 99% of all the coyotes they WILL rebound back. I've studied models where you enter different variables and you can not and will not EVER be able to get rid of them period. I've read hundreds of articles put out by the F&W and other state agencies and I hate to tell you this, but they are here to stay.

What can we do?? Limit the amount of food we leave out and if you leave your cats outside or even small dogs unattended the coyotes will have a good meal.

If ya don't believe me go online to states like TX & AZ as see for yourself. I don't like them at all since we have two cats (if they go out they are on a leash - yeah, its a PITA, but otherwise they will meet the same fate as my neightbors cats). The neighborhood is over run w/ chipmunks this year.

When I was in OR we use to go out w/ hp rifles and shoot coyotes - back then the pelts were bringing in about $40 for lighter colored ones. Not worth that now. MA banned trapping few yrs back so that didn't help either. See all the areas flooded by Beavers?! :P Wildlife MGT works, but it needs the cooperation of home owners.

How do I know this junk? Well I got a degree in it, but the jobs couldn't pay my bills so it is a hobby now.

If you need some varmit disposed of and you have lots of land around ya house give me a call.

Ray 'md2020'
maddog2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 02:50 PM   #19
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Got a Pack of them bastards roaming around my neighborhood. They took down a deer in my neighbors yard last year. My other neighbor saw them munching down on a groundhog right in my Horseshoe pits.

They don't seem to be scared of much either. I was banging nails and working in the yard and one just walked right through like I wasn't there.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 04:33 PM   #20
Backbeach Jake

Dad Fisherman, I was painting my windows in Truro and one went lopeing right under me! Bold SOB. I have 3 cats that I would rather keep breathin' ( we have a deal, If all the mice that I see are dead, they can live here. They're real good at their half of the deal) . If a coyote grabbed one then I'd break out the stand up rod, collect some roadkill squirrels, and sharpen the machete. Mess with me and mine and all hell breaks loose on you and your clan. Sorry 'Yote but that's the only deal I have for ya.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:50 PM   #21
BEETLE

I've had a pack of em here in my area for a few years. Did some late night stake outs over the last 2 winters - froze my arse off - only had one good shot at them with bow + arrow (missed by 10") --- Too residential to shoot off my 22 at them - plus the P.D. is 1/2 mile through the woods.

My neighbor has a closed in porch, sits there nice and cozy warm with his compound bow setup (He competition shoots) - he's been pickin them off here and there when he has the time - nice and quiet.

Was out almost a month ago - 4 am having a smoke, leaning on the fender of my truck one walks right by on the other side, SOB I say to self - not even a rock to throw at it, moments later another comes up the other side of house to join his partner - at that point I stomped the ground - man did they run like Heck.

Best advice is whats been said - take away potential food sources,keep the pets inside and they'll usually move elsewhere.
BEETLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 07:18 PM   #22
capesams

I don't *******beleive it...not 15 min's ago, I stepped out my front door an my last cat is doing 90mph across the yard with a ***** coyote on his tail....needless to say I intercepted the coyote in the middle of the driveway an I was in full kill mode even if it was bare handed,,,I chased the sob all the way around the block right on his a$$ untill he booted it into the woods.. AHHHH...I am one pissed off mother
more so than before. ERRRRRRRRRRRRR

BOAT fish do count.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:38 PM   #23
crashfromamesbury

cs that sucks.. the mrs and i just had a fence put around the new homestead to protect our little 4 legged fluffy snacks on legs (the mrs loves bichon frise).. she freaked when the
prev owner said they have been seen running thru the yard..

it was either that or stand out with a 12guage..

my neighbors would not have liked that too much..

hope you get the bastard next time you see him..

mass should have a pelt bounty on those furry terrorists..

I heard somewhere that piping plover is indian for "tastes like chicken" ..
crashfromamesbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 07:56 PM   #24
BEETLE

Mass. should allow leg traps again.

CS - how are you with a bow ? bait it, draw it in and snuff it.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:11 PM   #25
capesams

I don't beleive any of my neighor's would call the cops...they've all lost pets 12 ga..00 buck....I'm no strainger to guns or when it comes to hunting........ever shoot from the hip at clay birds......100 out of 100,,,,no BS.....an that's with the birds coming from behind you,,not knowing when or where they'll fly too an before they hit the sand pit wall...a friend the next town over already has 5 yotes hang in tree's in his back yard..I'm going to add to his collection.

BOAT fish do count.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:57 PM   #26
Backbeach Jake

12 gauge rifled slug will turn a coyote inside out. Pretty accurate too. I figure that you're like me, pets are part of the family. Any threats should be eliminated. Nail their freakin' pelts to a tree!!
Old 09-08-2004, 04:16 AM   #27
BEETLE

I went around and told my neighbors about our coyote problem. Most either have pets or children. I asked if anyone would be pissed if they saw one running through the yard with an arrow sticking out of it.

The response was overwhelming - go for it beetle -

I sure if you asked your neighbors you'd get the same response.
You want to make sure nobodys gonna drop a dime on ya for shootin - most cops will frown on that in a resi. area.

I gotta admit - this touches a nerve with me because i am a pet lover/owner myself.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:57 AM   #28
Christian
viva the plug-o-lution

Send a message via AIM to Christian
sorry bout your cat CS.

saw one on the west roxbury parkway at 3:30 am last week, welds woods area. if anybody knows where that is. the woods around here are filled with rats and rabbits.

live to fish. fish to live. rod tips high.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 12:19 PM   #29
TBone

I had a pack in my back yard a couple of years ago...they got ahold of something out there and don't know if it was the yotes or whatever they were snacking on, but it was the most blood curdling scream I had ever heard. I went outside to look to see what the scream was (thought it was a neighbors wife) I took Mr Louisville out with me, as I was wandering around between my yard and the neighbors four cops came outta nowhere guns and mag lites on me and my bat...they gave me the run down and checked me out. Turned out that the whole 'hood called it in...found blood and some darkish brown fur by the neighbors porch. Still see little f'ers everywhere...I'm really surprised my cats are still around...they don't like to come in at dark.

What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country. -HST
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 01:31 PM   #30
bart
Red Eye Jedi

my buddy in high school was the class president, but he was one sick bastard.

his backyard was all wooded and had lots of critters runnin around, especially yotes. he would sit in his room and play tapes of crows in distress. this would lure the yotes in and he would f'n blast em from his window.

then he would burn them in huge bonfires(thats another story). we would drink beers around the fire oblivious as to what was being cooked in the middle. once you smelled the funk you felt like

needless to say, the yotes started to disappear....
bart is offline   Reply With Quote