Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 11-22-2005, 01:04 AM   #1
Surfcastinglife

sox trade for beckett

give up hanley.........take on mike lowells salary ;o anibal sanchez and a player to be named later.....thoughts??

personally i dont know about it... renteria is locked in for the next few years which makes hanley "expendable" (if only renteria didnt suck) but i guess only time will tell
Surfcastinglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 02:06 AM   #2
Skip N

I could go for it if Lowell wasnt involved. The last thing they needed was an overpriced aging 3rd baseman with a huge contract to get stuck with. Beckett is a good pick up but getting stuck with lowell blows.
Skip N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 07:21 AM   #3
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

gotta feeling that lowell will be a new man in fenway and beckett is the new petey.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:58 PM   #4
toddonbi

It will stink to see Billy Meuller leave but on the bright side Fenway might be able to bring Lowell back to his old self.

toddonbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 03:13 PM   #5
Uncle Matt

I overheard on WEEI that Beckett has averaged 8 wins a year for the last 3 or 4 years. Plus he's had 9 appearences on the IR. Seems like the Sox got screwed. That's alot of talent to give up for a has been and an 8 game winner.

You just have to ask yourself one question. Would Theo make the same deal? First the Bruins blow then the "new" Sox brass blow my offseason. Time for me to find the closest yardarm........

"Love is like a snowmobile racing across the tundra then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
Matt Groening, Life In Hell
Uncle Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 03:44 PM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Beckett had 15 wins last season. He's young, and his ERA the last 3 years has been around 3.5.

I think ERA is more important than wins....If your club isn't hitting for you it doesn't matter how well you pitch. Just ask Clemens...his team's lack of offense cost him another Cy Young

I think its a good thing getting him...we need some young arms and pitching is at a premium in the major leagues. If he stays healthy he'll make a solid #3 Starter if not #2

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 03:49 PM   #7
Uncle Matt

That's alot of $ and talent to give up for a number 3 starter. He is a big kid and I'm sure his record would be better on a better hitting team. Alot of people alot brighter than me think so anyways........

"Love is like a snowmobile racing across the tundra then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
Old 11-22-2005, 03:54 PM   #8
Bigcat

Hanley did not do jack in double A.
As you all know we way over rate our players.

Fly & Light Tackle Fishing
Bigcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 04:16 PM   #9
Squibby17

Send a message via AIM to Squibby17
I love this trade.

Remember what your eyes tell you. I remember being completely devastated after Boone's Home run in game 7. One of the few things that made me happy after that was watching Josh Becket completely shut down the Yankees. This kid has a big future up here. He's from Texas so perhaps Foulke can treat him to some deer hunting and fishing, and get him happy in the North.

I can handle losing Hanley. I thought he was a little overated and won't play SS anytime soon as long as Renteria's Corpse resides on the left side of the infield. If indeed they lose Sancez instead of Lester I'm even happier.

Lowell's contract is hard to swallow and hopefully we won't have another Mike Lansing for a few more years. Honestly I pay big $ for tix and many $5.50 beers, There cutting payroll with the loss of Wells, Millar and "Damon" this team can afford it.

"You should have been here yesterday"
Squibby17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:46 PM   #10
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Matt
That's alot of $ and talent to give up for a number 3 starter. He is a big kid and I'm sure his record would be better on a better hitting team. Alot of people alot brighter than me think so anyways........
How do you figure he's your #3 starter?

Who's your #2? Clement? Chuck and Duck Wakefield? (that smiley's Wake's knuckler when it spins like a top and flies like a 747).

Kid's 22, he takes the ball for Game 6 in the Bronx and pitches a complete game shutout. He's been there, done that, and I think this was a great deal for you guys.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 05:00 PM   #11
Uncle Matt

In no specific order, in 2006 there's Schilling, Clement, Arroyo, Wells(if he's still on the team), Wakefield and Poppelbon. Now you add Beckett and it get kind of crowded. Wells should be moved by then, and there's talk of Arroyo going to the pen.

So it may go, Schilling, Clement, Beckett, Wakefield and Poppelbon. I don't see anything in the numbers that would make me flip flop Clement and Beckett.

Old 11-23-2005, 06:38 PM   #12
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

heard that they still might pursue more starting pitching, maybe burnette or swing something for dontrell.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:07 PM   #13
fishsmith
DDG-51

Schilling, Beckett, Poppelbon, then Wakefield or Clement or Arroyo

Pennant Fever grips the Hub!!!!!!!!!!!! GO SOX

Theo who?

Sure beats being a Marlins fan.
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:29 PM   #14
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Looks like a great deal for the sox!!!
Lots of the so called insiders don't think that Hanley will live up to the billing that he has been getting for the past few seasons!!!

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:43 PM   #15
Squid kids Dad

There seems to be a reasom why Hanley was never brought up to the majors.Who knows how he would have done for the Sox...I think its a good trade..We shall see...

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:55 PM   #16
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Matt
I don't see anything in the numbers that would make me flip flop Clement and Beckett.
How about this. 2003 WS, he goes 7-1/3 in Game 3 of the Series, gives up 2 earned runs on 3 hits, strikes out 10 and walks only 3, and takes a tough loss when the bullpen gets shelled in the 9th. In Game 6, on 3 days rest, he takes the mound at Yankee Stadium against Pettite, and pitches a complete game 5 hit shut-out, striking out 9 and walking 2, and walks away with the Series MVP trophy.

What's Clement done in the post-season, other than suck

Which of the two would you rather have on the mound in a clutch post season spot?
Old 11-23-2005, 10:03 PM   #17
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Clement tanks in Sept and Oct.
they should trade him

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 12:30 AM   #18
Skip N

Just found out Beckett is a huge GW supporter....suddenly i like the trade more now. Not to mention he dated that chick from the best damn sports show. Lucky bastahd!
Skip N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 11:50 AM   #19
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

He and Leeann are no longer an item, but good taste. It is a no brainer. IMO you always give up position players to get good pitching, always. He is young and has his best years ahead of him according to his last coach. He has some blister and shoulder issues but what pitcher doesn't have health issues. The only thing that worries me is he is a National league pitcher and they have not faired well in the last few years changing leagues. Lowell gold glove caliber 3rd baseman. Maybe a change of venue will help his numbers. Hate to loose Meuller but not going to loose sleep over it. Hanley is a year or 2 away. All potential. You never know. You don't give up any of your good pitching prospects. At least with Beckett you have him for 2 years if he sucks let him go. Burnett you will have to tie up for at least 5 years. Theo probably had this going before he left. Go for it. P.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 11:58 AM   #20
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Schilling was an NL pitcher---how'd he do changing leagues?
Old 11-25-2005, 04:03 PM   #21
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Pretty darn good in 2004.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote