Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Computers

Computers Sidetrack to Computers, Questions on your home computer? Posting just for registered members....

Old 08-04-2004, 01:59 PM   #1
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Outlook Web Access

Any of you IT Gurus know of any tricks to increase the performance on this. Ours is running like a dog and I am looking for ways to improve performance.

Running Echange 2k version of it. Plenty of memory and its not taxing the processors at all.

Any Thoughts???
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 04:03 PM   #2
Bass Nut
harrumpf!

OWA 5.5 and 2K are notoriously slow. I run 5.5 here and it's very clunky. It is not a processor intensive program so you wont see much on there.

Do you have OWA on the Exchange box itself or is it on a separate server?

I had a box of animal crackers the other day. The box said 'do not eat if seal is broken.' I opened the box, the lion was OK, the elephant was OK, sure enough, the darn seal was broken.
Bass Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 04:03 PM   #3
Bass Nut
harrumpf!

DOH!

I had a box of animal crackers the other day. The box said 'do not eat if seal is broken.' I opened the box, the lion was OK, the elephant was OK, sure enough, the darn seal was broken.
Bass Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 09:23 AM   #4
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I have it on the same box. I'm thinking it has to do with the amount of mail in there inbox. I'm going to set up a test account and see if there is a difference between a new user and an established user.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:19 AM   #5
zacs
D'oh

So so slow. Sometimes I would just rather dial in direct than use highspeed & owa.
_Z_

i bent my wookie
zacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 11:22 AM   #6
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Re: Outlook Web Access

Quote:
Originally posted by The Dad Fisherman
Any Thoughts???
Yeh, Groupwise

How many accounts / space on the mailbox? Running OWA on SSL? How is the speed on the local network using OWA as opposed to coming in from the outside? What kind of firewall?

Could be numerous issues or simply the fact that it is Exchange running on IIS . A different OWA server might help if you are on a bigger net where you can tune the server for web more than for exchange....

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 12:32 PM   #7
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I did find some documentation referencing Reach version vs. rich version of OWA. Any one using IE5 or greater is given the Rich version which has all of the Bells and whistles that are causing performance hits. This is only supposed to be for emergencies so I just want people to be able to read e-mail.

Internal network is fine but then again I have switched 100mb to everybodies desktop. Not bad on DSL/Cable but Painful on a dial-up.

Not running on SSL and I'm using a 3com Firewall.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:44 PM   #8
jugstah

Send a message via AIM to jugstah Send a message via Yahoo to jugstah
We tried OWA on an exchange server last year, and it was horribly slow that we ditched the project.

"Remember Amateurs built the Ark -- Professionals built the Titanic."
jugstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 02:29 PM   #9
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I would never use it as the main means of Communication but every once in awhile our sales guys are in a hotel that has the port for VPN blocked so they need an alternative way to at least check there mail (they have a dial up as a back-up but they bitch that it is to slow).
Old 08-08-2004, 10:55 AM   #10
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

At my current work, OWA is the external mail source and it doesn't run bad. Adequate for the needs of retreiving bake sale information or for the massage clinic ... Last office resulted in more usage and it was still adequate. I preferred accessing OWA -v- VPN just for email as the VPN overhead (and complexity for dumb users) was too much at times... "Establish your internet connection, Click here, enter password, and you're on" - That was too compicated sometimes

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 12:29 AM   #11
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I can feel your pain w/ end-users. I can make the simplest change and it could take me weeks to drill it in to people.

I just recently moved a report server to a new webserver and sent out directions on how to change the shortcut on there desktop w/ the new URL. 75% didn't even bother to read it so I got frustrated and sent out an E-Mail w/ the subject line of "FREE BEER" Amazingly everybody read that one.

By the way Changing from the Rich to the Reach version made a huge difference in performance. I'm on a crappy dial-up at home and it used to literally take 2-3 minutes for my OWA to open. Now it takes 6 seconds.