View Single Post
Old 11-09-2023, 09:52 AM   #7
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
There comes a point when a boat becomes a family member. Memories have been made…sacrifices made… unconditional love is formed….
This boat obviously represents this.
Far too many people flip boats when something goes wrong and don’t keep them long enough to form the obvious bond that you have with yours.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Thank you - you get it- I've had this boat longer than anything else in my life, longer than my 2 children, it survived 1 failed marriage and a blissful one.That boat and I have been to hell and back together and caught a ton ( probably multiple tons) of fish together- and above it all, it always got me home safely, even when I made mistakes.
This is a death do us part relationship. thank you for understanding- most do not- in this day and age of "throw away" items, it is far too easy to "give up", I've replaced many transoms in my life ( mostly Grady Whites), but this one is special.

There is a story within the story with this boat, the Builder, David Finklstein,was a Navy boat builder in Stonybrook NY, he saw a need for sturdy rental skiffs, in his factory he, and his 8 employees turned out 15 boats a week ( during their prime)mostly 16 and 17' lap sided flat bottom dories, however, the 18' was a special order, Semi V bottom with a sharp entry flared bow center console with the classic lap sided design even though it was fiberglass..The flat bottom 16 and 17' boats show up every now and again, but when it comes to the 18, I have never seen another one- Finkelstein passed away in 2018 at the age of 86, he never expanded his boat line for fear that quality would be lost- the Stonybrook factory where it all began still produces 16' lap sided fiberglass dories.

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote