Thread: HR 4269
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2016, 10:48 AM   #113
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Chris, the term "assault weapon" has been bandied about and misused on both side of the argument. This bill wants to also include any semi-automatic weapon capable of accepting a magazine of more than ten rounds. This would include many/most sidearms carried by LEOs... Are they assault weapons? Semi-automatic is simply a weapon that utilizes the energy from the expended cartridge to chamber a subsequent cartridge from the magazine. Can I buy a gun now with an extended magazine? Not in Mass. Do I have magazines manufactured and possessed in state before the ban, ie. 1994? Yes. And that is my right. If the weapon meets the standards of the state and fed, meaning that it is not all tricked out( with threaded barrel for example), and has the allowed number of foreign vs. domestic parts, it passes the test. A whole slew of kits are out there to build and add on, because people want a cool looking gun. This bill's authors would have me limited to .22 pea shooters. My point is if I am ready to put my finger inside the trigger guard, I do not want to be under gunned. While this bill leaves many solid weapons on the table, it is effectively putting the law abiding citizen at a considerable disadvantage when it comes to firepower. And that is not the intention of the 2nd Amendment.

Maybe they would rather we could only have flintlock muzzle loaders......

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.