View Single Post
Old 09-15-2022, 02:24 PM   #34
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Well, you said it was "smart" when someone else posted that covoid deaths are a reason why there are a huge number of unfilled jobs. That is not what I meant.
I don't see data to support that, and the demographics of covid deaths suggest that covid deaths aren't likely a big reason why. Getting people addicted to generous unemployment benefits may have been a larger contributor. But I doubt you care bout that either, because it doesn't serve liberalism.How would you know what I care about. You sound like an idiot when you post things like that.
And you are wrong about unemployment benefits. It just caused pain to those receiving the benefits - which given the conserv. states track record appears to be what was intended.

State governors, largely Republicans, said the federal funds were keeping recipients from looking for jobs, making it harder for businesses to hire and holding back the economic recovery.

However, Census Bureau data suggests recipients didn’t rush to find jobs in the weeks following the first batch of state withdrawals, according to Arindrajit Dube, an economics professor at the University of Massachusetts Amherst.

Specifically, the share of adults receiving unemployment benefits fell sharply (by 2.2 percentage points) in the dozen states that cut federal funding on June 12 or 19, according to Dube. That translates to a 60% reduction in unemployment rolls in those states, he said.

But there wasn’t a corresponding increase in employment among this group — in fact, the share of adults with a job fell by 1.4 percentage points over the same period, according to Dube. (Employment rose by 0.2 percentage points in states that didn’t end the pandemic benefits.)

Together, the data shows there wasn’t an immediate job boost following the cuts, Dube said.