View Single Post
Old 01-13-2023, 10:53 AM   #33
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Republicans and Democrats give roughly equal amounts to religious organisations aside from their own congregations, and we also find some evidence that Democrats donate more to non-religious organisations than Republicans. In other words, the baseline difference in charitable giving emerges because Republicans are more religious than Democrats, and religious people donate generously to their religious congregations.

So in a nutshell Conservatives are more generous to themselves

Top 10 US philanthropists Warren Buffett, George Soros Bill Gates Michael Bloomberg, Chuck family Charles Koch, Jeff Bezos Phil Knight, David Koch
6-4 liberals win
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
"So in a nutshell Conservatives are more generous to themselves "

That can only be true, if you assume that money given to a church, benefits the person who made the donation. What you said can only be true, if the church doesnt spend a single penny on actual charity.

I'm the treasurer of the PTO at my kids school. The church donates money to the school so that a small number of poor kids can attend, who could never afford the tuition.

My church, that Catholic church, operates soup kitchens, homeless shelters, hospitals, that provide services to the poor. The money to fund those services, comes from donations. Therefore, when I put money in the basket on Sundays, some of that money is benefitting myself (the church might get a fresh paint job, or a new furnace), but some of that money is obviously benefitting others besides myself.

The notion that people only give to a church to benefit themselves...that's stupid, even for you.

"op 10 US philanthropists Warren Buffett, George Soros Bill Gates Michael Bloomberg, Chuck family Charles Koch, Jeff Bezos Phil Knight, David Koch
6-4 liberals win"

So a sample of ten people, in a country of 330 million, is a representative sample? Wow.

Desperate and pathetic.