View Single Post
Old 01-09-2023, 12:11 PM   #133
Jim in CT

WDMSO -

"Government deficits always trend lower when their in office "

Depends on if you're talking about potus or congress, and what events were taking place at the time. I don't claim that at the national level, the GOP is any better with actions, but they make promises they don't keep.

"which party pass stuff to help big business and the wealthy"

That's perception. Reality, is that the left is wealthier than the right and that big business donates more to democrats now. That wasn't always the case, but its the case today.

"Dems want to fix these programs"

Wrong. Dems "claim" they want to fix them, by opposing cuts. But they never tell you what needs to be done to avoid cuts, and they never tell you where that money will come from., The easiest thing in the world, is for a politician to make promises.

"and a age increase is not a cut if its grandfathered in"

Yes it is. It's telling me that I will get less. That's a cut. I can't get benefits until I'm 67.5, my dad started getting benefits when he was way younger. That's a cut. It's way to save money. And I'm not saying it's bad, but don't tell me it's not a cut in benefits. Even if the raise the age way before I was ready to start collecting, it's a cut.

"Being in public service hasn't clouded any of my Judgments"

Respectfully, I disagree. You think the solution is always to spend more money. And you think that every time a Republican suggests we live within our means, they don't care about the poor. I've been in the public sector, and almost everyone there feels exactly the same way. Never any concern, ever, for if they are demanding too much from their neighbors.

"Can't get convictions on Hoaxes jim"

Right!! No innocent person has ever been convicted! Never! By the way, what was Trump convicted of? Nothing.

"yep keep thinking thats what happened"

Are you denying that teachers are exempt from SS? They don't pay one cent into it. Nor do they collect obviously, but their pensions (at least in CT) are several times more lucrative than SS. I know many public teachers whose pensions are over $70k a year, starting much younger than I'll be eligible for SS payments, which won't be anywhere near that high. And I pay more into SS than Connecticut teachers pay into their pensions.

I'll ask again, is there any limit to the amount of debt which you feel entitled to pass onto future generations? Is there any limit? And are we anywhere near that limit?