View Single Post
Old 07-06-2022, 04:28 AM   #253
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
and there’s 400 million guns out there, plus the second amendment, so that’s never going to reverse course.

Look, i agree we have to try something with gun control, but that’s mostly out of desperation and political expediency. There’s little evidence to suggest it will do much.

We have a to. if gins and a decaying moral compass with our collective culture. That’s two big problems. Each side wants to pretend there only one issue.

If the problem is guns, guns, guns, what would you propose? There’s 400 million guns out there already. The criminals aren’t going to voluntarily hand theirs over.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Put the assault weapon ban back in, more wide spread and without any sunset provision because it worked. That’s not all that needs to be or can be done, but high powered weapons is a good place to start.

During the 1994-2004 ban:

In the years after the assault weapons ban went into effect, the number of deaths from mass shootings fell, and the increase in the annual number of incidents slowed down. Even including 1999’s Columbine High School massacre – the deadliest mass shooting during the period of the ban – the 1994 to 2004 period saw lower average annual rates of both mass shootings and deaths resulting from such incidents than before the ban’s inception.

From 2004 onward:

The data shows an almost immediate – and steep – rise in mass shooting deaths in the years after the assault weapons ban expired in 2004.

Breaking the data into absolute numbers, between 2004 and 2017 – the last year of our analysis – the average number of yearly deaths attributed to mass shootings was 25, compared with 5.3 during the 10-year tenure of the ban and 7.2 in the years leading up to the prohibition on assault weapons.