View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #75
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
I'm trying to imagine how much, and what kind, of explosive propellant would be required to get ball bearings (or small lead shot, or whatever), moving at sufficient velocity to take off limbs, bone and all. The femur is one of the biggest, and strongest, bones in a human body. I've seen the results of a 12 gauge blast taking off a hand, but a femur?

It had to be one powerful device, I would think. I'm kind of doubting that it was the handiwork of a rank amateur.

I was watching one of the talking heads last night stating this was a "low power" explosive device which would propel a ball bearinbg at 7,000 feet per second, as opposed to a high powered explosive propelling an object at 25K feet per second. The head then stated a rifle shot is on the order of 1200-1300 feet per second (familiar with this).

This stuff is well out of my wheel house and I have no idea how accurate the talking head was but it lines up a bit with what is being discussed. So take it for what it is worth and what you paid for it

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote