View Single Post
Old 09-01-2020, 02:40 PM   #116
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Think of it this way: Most of the white speakers came armed with some agenda. They wanted more farm subsidies or fewer abortions or more Jesus in schools or the right to shoot Black people walking past their homes. But the Black speakers seemingly wanted nothing. There were no additional policies they desired or issues they wanted addressed. They had no goals they wanted the next Tweety administration to accomplish and no legislation they wanted Republicans to pass.

I saw that MSNBC went with this narrative. It's just not true. You're making it sound like they all had nothing more to add other than "I'm black, I'm here at the RNC, so Trump isn't racist".

The first TV spot at the RNC, was a very moving story of a black bank robber, pardoned by Trump, who is dedicating his lilfe to helping others He spoke very specifically of the support Trump has given him.

Tim Scott talked about the success of the economic opportunity zones.

The rising star AG of Kentucky destroyed Biden's notion that you ain't black if you ain't for him (I'd love to know your true opinion on Bidens statement there, which I know you'll never share).

The woman who got paroled from prison thanks to criiminal justice reform thanked Trump.

So if you're saying that unless someone says "I want this", they have nothing valid to say, I disagree with. I think showing regular people whose lives have been improved by his policies, is a very effective way to make the case. The polls seem to suggest a tightening of the race after the conventions. I don't think it will be enough. But I'm sure the conventions were a net benefit to Trump.