View Single Post
Old 02-05-2023, 08:09 PM   #48
redlite

I watched About 45 seconds of this video and could already understand about what he was talking about.
over the years I have regularly researched on line for jobs we would be doing for the first time to get a rough clue as to what was involved and potential pitfalls to be aware of before actually doing. Many times I became the wiser of the crew. I often came across videos by this dude and was always impressed by him and his way of communicating.
a few years ago One of the best things I learned from him that as stupid and simple as it would seem was how to properly use a chalk line/ straight line, esp in framing. To this day and even last month building a buddy's house up in Maine with a crew, some doing this for way longer than me , they were all amazed at my skill to properly do it. Even my boss still always defaults to me as he has never grasped the concept of how to properly wrap and tighten one for reuse.
Dude provides clear, understandable, and practical explanations to a lot of trade secrets that can only be learned by years and years of experience or a very patient well experienced mentor.
A while back I had discussed with my boss since I have been getting more and more side work from our current repeat customers about how to not be afraid of screwing up or disappointing customers. screw ups cost time and money and I fear the embarrassment of letting them down and embarrassing my boss as it is also a reflection on him. I was a pretty successful salesman in the past and had been taught to fake it till u make it, but its tougher to do in the trades.
Now I have zero desire to go out on my own as I hate paperwork, but he was dumbfounded the other day at lunch as we were going over up coming schedule at the amount of side work that I am trying to fit in was so many of the jobs I got going are with our long time existing customers, albeit that they are smaller more handy man type of jobs that he has no patience, time or interest in doing. but I could tell he was proud that I am so much less hesitant and more confident to take on jobs without his guidance or advice.
Now ill finish watching this video..........
redlite is online now   Reply With Quote