View Single Post
Old 01-31-2023, 10:25 PM   #32
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Grew up in a mediocrely rough neighborhood, divorced/single mom with 4 kids, projects, and was on track to, while not be be bad, surely not be good.

But I also did Scouts (hell, some of my troop were my 12 year old drinking buddies). Had paper routes, side jobs for cash stocking the local variety/liquor store. But I was still kind and polite, just not making great choices.

I was good to eff off, and basically move in with my father, where I needed the discipline, and lucked out as he was transferred to Germany and I went to school on the base. The DODDS school was almost like a private school, or at least equivalent to a very good school system in a very good town. But it had two things going for it, a top level education, and on balance great parents.

So it can be done, in good towns, with good schools. If your kids are young, find a way to move to those good towns.

I am proud of the kid my wife and I raised, but we also got a good dice roll, in addition to hard work at parenting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite View Post
I'm younger than u old farts and agree and can relate with most of it. Me and my three siblings were so dumb we actually made a 2 foot spanking stick complete with hanging cord with perfectly sanded edges for her not to beat us with, but to disciple us with out hurting her hand. Then we made
Her. 3 ft version for the car so she could turn around and wack us without stopping the car. Dad's hands like tough baseball gloves so he didn't need.
We have been raising our 12 yr old
Nephew for Past 8 years
As legal guardians in addition
To our 3. Behavior was getting out of control and would always say we can't touch him or he call police. Well he refused to go to school and took off on his bike. We called police and after dark they picked him up down other end of town. police officer stood here in our driveway and explained to him that we certainly could slap/ spank/ discipline him. In fact with the way he was acting and talking to all of us we were more than legally Justified to slap him right in front of police officer and there was nothing he would or could do. Officer explained to him how it was for him and that he should be grateful for us raising him instead of what his situation would and could be.
He has sang a different tune since. Raise em right
Hoorah
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote