View Single Post
Old 07-25-2001, 09:57 PM   #19
Saltheart

Yes I have had the same problem. I don't think the fish care but on a spinner , you could end up with twist. I think it happens more if the line going to the tail hook is a little too short and you get a little bend in the eel cause the tail hook is pulled up by the line to the head hook. Some have suggested that using braid insid ethe eel from the head hook to the tail hook will prevent this. I don't like the idea of rigging eels with braid. I'm sure it would work great but the eels are so gross , I wouldn't want to take any chance of cutting myself with braid that has eel guts on it while tying the hooks on. But yes , they might twist a little or turn oever. Don't worry , they'll still catch fish.

I don't really attempt to put any action on the rigged eels. I figure if the vertabrae are all popped , the eel is so supple that it wiggles with the least movement through the water. I also think a slow retrieve is best , just like a live eel.

Tying the the head hook is tough. I've played around with that a lot but its a tough knot since you are halfway down the eels throat and the line is all slimed. I used to try a snell the hard way but it comes out bad. You can force the eel down onto the tail hook hard and that gives you a little more room to get at the head hook for a good knot. When I've been in a hurry , I've just gone through the eye twice , tied two hitches around the hook shank , then back towards the eye for another hitch outside the first two (this locks them in then pulled the end through the eye again. Its not a good knot but its in 50 or 60 lb Ande so it never lets go. The only thing you have to be careful of is if the knot slips , it will pull the tail hook forward and then you get the bend in the eel which will make it twist on the retrieve. If anyone figures out a better way to tie that head knot , I'd like to know. Its always an area you struggle with.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote