View Single Post
Old 07-19-2001, 12:26 PM   #12
Saltheart

John S , yes i do often just grab a few from the freezer and put them in my surf bag.

The hook question is a good one. I've debated that with myself a lot. For example , I ran into Steve McKenna last year in the fall. #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& had said he used rigged eels. I made it a point to talk to Steve about his eels but only had one question , "What hooks do you use" He used big Siwash hooks too. I like the 4/0 eagle claw lazer sharps cause they are thin wired and super sharp. Both combine to make them very effective at nailing the bass on a strike. I already said I get a lot of foul hook ups outside the mouth and I doubt I'd get that many with the thicker wired siwash hooks. I do worry that Mrs 80 Pounder may straighten a 4/0 lazer sharp but so far I've never lost a fish cause they straightened out. There may be a better hook choice out there but you will give up a little in one area to gain some in another.

One thing I have considered is using a jig hook with a 45 or 90 degree bend ahead of the eye. The reason I've considered them is because I think it would be easier to lash them in place and keep them pointing down from the eel because it would be easier to lash around the bend in the hook.

Keeping the eels mouth shut is not hard . The easiest way is to do the light thread head wrap using a fly tying bobbin. The thread can be very light and you can almost make the wrap continuous like you would when finishing a fly head. Don't confuse this thin wrap around the head with the ten wraps of heavier thread behind the head. The thin wrap is just to keep the eels mouth shut. the thicker thread behind the head is so you can cast hard without the head hook tearing out. If you want you could start by actually sewing the mouth shut with thin thread through the lips and then wrapping all the way up the head with thin thread.
There are a lot of chemically sharpened hooks now. It would be a good idea to experiment with different ones but when you do , be sure to try thin wire lazer sharp hooks. I think you'll get more hook ups.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote