View Single Post
Old 01-31-2023, 10:15 AM   #60
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
So the "value proposition" is as follows:

Move to the outliers towns where there is a good quality of life if you have enough money but if you don't have enough money, you are out of luck and we really don't care about you enough to raise our taxes to try improving your life.
"if you have enough money"

What you failed to admit, is that the required amount of money to enjoy those towns is far less than what's required to enjoy the suburbs of CT, which is the obvious (to everyone except you), entire point.

"raise our taxes to try improving your life."

Funny, one of the many questions you keep dodging is this one...what am I getting from the state of CT for my taxes, that I wouldn't get in NH if I moved there?

I keep asking that, you keep dodging.

If higher taxes were the reason for a higher quality of living, people wouldn't be fleeing high tax states. This is the point. People are realizing that you don't get anything for those exorbitant taxes here in CT, unless you're a public unionized employee. Most aren't.

Paul, I immediately concede there are statistics that are much more favorable to CT than for FL or TN - average education, health, life expectancy. That's obviously true. Impossible to deny. What is easy to deny, is that the state is the reason why. If you moved to FL, why would anyone believe that you'd suddenly become fat, lazy, stupid? People decide these things for themselves, the state government isn't your mother. Liberals push that nonsense to justify the taxes. America is waking up to the reality that it's not true.

You have to be pretty wealthy to enjoy CT, and CT has an awful lot to offer wealthy people. So wealthy people will want to live here and stay here. That doesn't mean the state made them wealthy. Catering to wealthy people, and making people wealthy, are very different things.

There's a big, big difference between correlation and causation.