View Single Post
Old 12-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #148
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
In all fairness Jim I think they just wanted a cake. This isn't exactly cramming their beliefs down the bakers grill.If a muslim wants a cake I doubt he is attempting to convert,nor do I think the baker is vulnerable to any type of mind meld.Just keeping it real here.Can you explain how ordering a cake from a baker is forcing ones beliefs on another? I mean,he DOES sell cakes right?
IMO he can sell to whomever he wants but if he only sells to people of the same religion it will probably be a short carreer.Like I stated before,I support his right to sell to his choice of customer but your shallow depiction of a vulnerable merchant may be short sighted.
I'm not sure it matters what it was they were purchasing. What matters is that what they were asking, was interpreted by this man as contradictory to his religious views.

"Can you explain how ordering a cake from a baker is forcing ones beliefs on another?"

The courts are telling this guy that he must provide the cake, or face fines. The court is ordering this man to participate in that which violates his religious beliefs. I'm not sure I see how that's different from courts ordering Catholic OBGYN's to provide abortions. I'm not saying a cake is the moral equivalent of an unborn baby, I'm saying that these would both be examples of the government ordering someone to participate in that which violates their religion. If that's not a violation of the Freedom Of Religion, I don't know what is, do you?

And remember I support gay marriage. But I also support the Bill Of Rights, and I don't like it when the courts pretend those protections don't exist when it serves their personal agenda to do so.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 12-23-2013 at 10:15 AM..