View Single Post
Old 01-31-2023, 07:30 AM   #20
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
We made the opposite trip with our 3 boys, started in public, switched to Catholic, observe the same exact thing. I live in a decent suburb where teh schools are considered pretty good by CT standards, and my oldest got straight As in middle school, and averaged 10 minutes of homework a day. Never broke a sweat.

At catholic high school he gets 2.0 - 2.5 hours of homework a day, and required community service hours every quarter which is a great idea. His friends at the public high school never get 30 minutes of work a day, it's preparing them for absolutely nothing.

I didn't see anyone mention the internet, which is having an awful impact. And they'' be writing papers for 100 years about what covid did to this generation of kids, the difference in CT between how the public and catholic schools handled it, cannot be imagined. Catholic schools barely missed a beat. Public schools lost more than a full year. And their solution to make up for it, is to give the kids no work. And parents are ok with it, and I don't get it.

My 3 boys do a lot of homework, play sports, are into karate, and spend little time online, and they know that if they work their fingers to the bine, good things will eventually happen. That has been lost on this generation.

My first day at that public high school ....inner city...adjacent to public housing.....I was robbed when I went to the mens room alone....by three thugs that werent even students at the school.

I noticed that the teachers were scared #^&#^&#^&#^& of some of the derelict students, who would have been expelled immediately at a catholic school...and would have been dragged out of the classroom... bodily and never returned.
Well in contrast to that....in catholic high school.....i had loosened my tie a little too much...and the coach of the football team stopped me in the hall and helped me fix it.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 01-31-2023 at 07:36 AM..
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote