View Single Post
Old 03-16-2002, 06:23 AM   #20
Fish_Eye

Slipknot,

If you look at the herring pictures I took at the top of this thread, you can't help but notice the flecks of gold on their side. I took this picture just after the sun climbed over the pond so that you would get an idea of how they take on a golden hue...underwater it's much the same situation. In most ponds or creeks they often appear even more golden thanks to the tannin stained water. I love yellow lures in the early morning and late afternoon for these reasons. This is very subjective stuff, as long as the fish aren't talking, but it's my story and I'm sticking to it .

You mentioned earlier that there is a lot of pressure on herring these days -- Russian processing ships aside. This might be true, but many herring runs have been refurbished and are now contributing significant numbers of herring to the sea. I feel that the absolute best return on investment comes from improving stream access (adding ladders, taking down dams) and from eel grass restoration. Save the Bay, is very active in both of these projects and I strongly suggest support this conservation organization. The Federal government has also earmarked millions of dollars for this kind of work...finally some money well spent.

Check out these sites and you can learn more about these efforts: http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/habitat/res...ayecholake.htm

Then there's there's are boys with shovels Don't believe what they say about shoveling against the tide! Nice work Bloo, Tattoo and Goose

Scotch,

The river herring are hell bent for fresh water to spawn and don't settle for much salinity. When the young of the year, and that's most of the new fry, head back to the ocean, they are often in large schools, moving at night. I think the most interesting breachway push of bait comes in September with the push of mullet...but that's another story.

Mike

Fish_Eye is offline   Reply With Quote