View Single Post
Old 03-15-2002, 09:00 AM   #13
Fish_Eye

Mr. Kav,

Sounds like a simple and effective rig...let us know how you make out with it.

A lot of anglers don't think about using herring in deep water -- a big missed opportunity. Sure, early season brings lots of bass into skinny water, but you can always find some big cows in deep holes.

On a couple of my videos I show a rig that consists of Fire Line (40 pound test), a 3 ounce egg sinker, a tiny Spro swivel, three feet of fluorocarbon leader and in those days I would use a Mustad size 11 circle hook (difficult to hook the herring correctly -- and too thick a wire -- I now use the Gamakatsu Octopus circles). Even with fresh dead herring this rig can be worked in water 100 feet deep. I use an Abu 6500 and a Lamiglas Titanium rod. The sensitivity is terrific and the lack of stretch and thin diameter of the Fire Line allows me to free spool my offering right to the bottom. Every few seconds I go back into free spool and make sure I feel that egg bounce. When I get a pick up I can let the fish run and just wait for the rod to double over...no need to set the hook...and it's off to the races.

Fishsmith.

I hear what you're saying -- make mine live if at all possible. One thing about using fresh dead or previously frozen "whole" fish -- make sure you straighten out the spine by pressing down on the fish to minimize any spin while trolling.

In another thread I asked if anyone ever used the mooching technique that the folks on the west coast use for salmon. It actually encourages the spinning of the cut herring plug. I guess Bassmaster has used this trick off the rip lines near Woods Hole with great luck.

What type of flies do you flyfishers like?

Fish_Eye is offline   Reply With Quote