View Single Post
Old 10-04-2021, 10:42 AM   #133
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Here is the problem: at least 85% of the problem we have in inner-city, high-poverty urban schools has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with the quality of education, the qualifications of the teachers, or classroom management skills. Nearly ALL of the problems stem from two things: a total lack of effective consequences that the kids find worth avoiding, and laws that keep incorrigible kids in the classroom. PERIOD—that’s it. If we took care of both of these problems, then the VAST majority of our “failing schools” problem would cease to exist.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
fine, i agree with much of that. although i’d say the single biggest problem is crappy parenting ( which causes the behavior you mentioned).

you tell me, which political
side would tend to go along with your proposal, and which would fight it. the liberals run the cities, and they run the state of CT, they could fix that today if they wanted.

but my kids are now in private school because of one reason - the public schools are poorly run. unions often implement education policies that are completely at odds with what’s best for kids, and you don’t have union interference in private schools. one reason why they’re better.

Pete, when i taught in an economically challenged suburb of new haven, we had problems with fights between classes. so the principal asked all the teachers to use the 5 minute break between periods to look in the hallways to keep an eye out for trouble. A reasonable request, right?

That same day, the union told
us to absolutely refuse to do that, because that 5 minutes was a contractually negotiated “break”, and that if the school
wanted us to “work” during those 5 minutes, they’d have to pay us first.

That is one thing eroding the quality of education that you left out. The
unions are awful.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device